8+ people at a conference table - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 20th, 2016, 08:24 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: 8+ people at a conference table

Just curious what approach you ended up using and how it worked.
Bernie Beaudry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2016, 10:51 AM   #17
Regular Crew

I know this has come and gone, but I'll make suggestion. Boundary mics work on any boundary. If your room does not have a high ceiling, you can put a boundary mic on the ceiling and it will work as well as on the table- in some cases better because you don't have to worry about people bumping it, papers muffling it, etc...

I've done things like this with a couple boundary mics to cover the whole area and it can work very well.

--Ben
Old May 24th, 2016, 12:31 PM   #18
Trustee

It looks like the OP may have gone away but here is a tip anyway. With a boundary mic the table top becomes "part of the mic". You have to be aware of everything on the table. The worst offender can be glass pitchers of ice water common on conference tables. The glass cups being filled with ice water will NOT sound like a background noise. They will be THE sound that gets recorded the loudest.

A compromise I worked out once when the client insisted on water (understandable) was to have a water station instead of a glass in front of each person. When they have to get up to get water only two people did. When it is in front of them everyone pours some just because it is there.

If I was the OP I would use a PZM and his other mics the best way I could. Everything would be recorded to its own track then go to post and mix the best you have.

In my experience PZM mics work but it is not a quality sounding voice recording, it is a compromise.

I don't know about you guys but my clients are asking me to work for low budgets more than ever. I don't turn the work down, I just make it clear to them there will be compromises in quality. This was a case where they were clearly accepting that because it was for an internal audience. I do the best I can with the resources I am given to work with. On the other hand though, I am not a low budget shooter. If they are talking to me they are not Craigs list shoppers looking for lowest price only. When I get frustrated with some potential new client trying to beat me down I will finally say "Quality costs money, how good do you want it to be?" I am not recommending that, it is usually the deal breaker. But you gotta draw a line somewhere......

Kind Regards,

Steve

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio