Happy Pi Day at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 14th, 2016, 11:19 AM   #1
Trustee

Happy Pi Day

... for those of you who are trigonometrically inclined.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2016, 09:26 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Happy Pi Day

.... And if you are that side of the Pond. This side, it's the fourteenth of March (14.3) rather than March the fourteenth. We still use your version for circles, though.
Brian Dollemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2016, 10:02 AM   #3
Major Player

The daughter of my wife's friend just won a school contest for memorizing and reciting Pi to 300 digits. Kids these days...

Jeff
Jeff Pulera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2016, 01:13 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Dollemore View Post
.... And if you are that side of the Pond. This side, it's the fourteenth of March (14.3) rather than March the fourteenth..
Yeah, I know.

When you think about it, you folks in the old country never get to have Pi day, since there is no 14th month. Which just leaves more Pi for us. (To compensate, you can keep the tea.)

The date format I prefer, because it's most logical (and works best for computer sorting) is 2016.03.14. I know darned well the US will never adopt that, since metric never caught on here. :-(
Old March 16th, 2016, 09:19 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
The date format I prefer, because it's most logical (and works best for computer sorting) is 2016.03.14. I know darned well the US will never adopt that, since metric never caught on here. :-(
Current applications such as Access or Excel do away with the need for such date gyrations by storing date values as a Julian Date, a decimal number. (Yes, there really is a Star Date!) Upon entry a value that is recognized as a valid date is converted to a number based on the number of elapsed days since an arbitrary Day Zero. As I type, Excel gives me a date value at the moment of 42445.47. It interprets the XX/YY/ZZ entry string as having the date order consistent with the operating system region setting and converts it to a Julian value, the integer portion representing the number of days since Day 1, (for Excel and Access it's January 1, 1900) and the fractional part the elapsed time since the previous midnight. Since it's internally a numerical value rather then a string, as long as your entries are consistent with the OS date format they will sort correctly, irrespective of whether they're MMDDYY, DDMMYY, YYMMDD or even YYDDMM.
Old March 16th, 2016, 11:46 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks for that info, Steve. You learn something new every day, they say!

Being inquisitive, I Googled it - and found that there's actually an online converter at Online Conversion - Julian Date Converter (there would just have to be, I suppose) .... but it gives me today as 2457464.25. I never was any good at maths, though.
Old March 16th, 2016, 02:00 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
I never was any good at maths, though.
And I thought I could count on you Brian :-D

Dave
Dave Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2016, 03:47 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Baker View Post
And I thought I could count on you Brian :-D

Dave
Sure that wasn't sum other fella, Dave? :-/
Old March 17th, 2016, 06:14 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Dollemore View Post
Thanks for that info, Steve. You learn something new every day, they say!

Being inquisitive, I Googled it - and found that there's actually an online converter at Online Conversion - Julian Date Converter (there would just have to be, I suppose) .... but it gives me today as 2457464.25. I never was any good at maths, though.
Excel uses Julian Date representation but not the true Julian Date. For the real Julian Date used by astronomers. Day One starts at 12 noon, January 1, 4713 BCE
Old March 18th, 2016, 07:02 PM   #10
Trustee

I develop apps, web pages, and databases for a large, high-tech, international corporation.
In order to avoid all the different date format ambiguities, I made my own non-ambiguous format.
Today is 18-Mar-2016 At least that works around the planet wherever English is perceived.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2016, 09:21 AM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Crowley View Post
I made my own non-ambiguous format. Today is 18-Mar-2016
I've seen that used frequently.

Another option I've seen (rarely) is "19-III-2016" with a roman numeral used to designate the month. But at the beginning of a month, "3-IV-2016" would still be ambiguous if you didn't know the "standard."

At least Richard's style is unambiguous, even for a non-English speaker, because the 31 days don't have 31 unique names.

Personally, I think we should have 13 months of 28 days each, and one extra day in the new month (whatever it is). And we'd still need leap years. While we're at it, move Saturday and Sunday to the 6th and 7th day of the week (the way they are now on Russian calendars).

Last edited by Greg Miller; March 19th, 2016 at 11:28 AM.
Old March 20th, 2016, 06:26 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Or we could use a system like Japan where the official year is 平成二十八年 or the 28th year of the Heisei era. And it will start counting from 1 again when the next emperor assumes the throne and chooses a name for the era. So they get to re-issue the coins and change the freshness dates, etc.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio