Two Mics One Recorder - Can I Separate? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 21st, 2016, 11:02 AM   #1
Major Player

Two Mics One Recorder - Can I Separate?

I recorded something today with my Tascam Dr-100mkii and used both a shotgun mic and a lav via the XLR inputs. Is it possible to separate these tracks in post or are the stuck that way? I am only seeing one file on the card.
Brock Burwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2016, 11:16 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Two Mics One Recorder - Can I Separate?

Can you not split the left and right channel of your audio in your NLE? Not sure what NLE you use but in Edius I can easily separate one single audio file.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2016, 12:03 PM   #3
Major Player

If the two mics are each discreetly recorded to one channel (L or R) then you will have no problem in post.

In Adobe Premiere for example, they offer the FILL LEFT and FILL RIGHT effects. Fill Left copies left channel over to right (replacing original R. audio), and Fill Right does the opposite. Just copy/paste the audio clip so it is on two tracks, apply FILL LEFT to one of them and RIGHT to the other. Done

Thanks
Old March 21st, 2016, 01:27 PM   #4
Major Player

I use Final Cut so I'm not sure if it's done the same way. I looked and it must be done some other way.

t googled how and I'm not coming up with anything, perhaps I'm bad a googling today.
Brock Burwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2016, 02:36 PM   #5
Trustee

You can split them into two mono tracks with FCP 7 no problem not sure about FCP X but I suspect you will be able to do it there too so have a look at this page: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH12575?locale=en_US

Sorry I am away from home at the moment away from my FCP 7 edit suite so can't guide you to where it is done but you sure can do it.
Old March 21st, 2016, 06:25 PM   #6
Trustee

Hopefully the DR-100mkII mic inputs were not set to MONO in the menu, which would mix the two signals together at the time of recording.

See page 30 in the manual to make sure they were set to STEREO to keep the Left and Right inputs going to separate channels allowing you to work with each signal separately later on.

The Zoom H4n can also be set this way, called Mix To Mono. Something to avoid unless you have a very good reason to do this. Once the signals are mixed in the original recording, you can't separate them later.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2016, 02:12 AM   #7
Major Player

Yes that was my thinking... normally either in camera or a recorder, you can decide whether to record each mic to a separate channel or have both mics recording to both channels which mixes it up at the acquisition.

It is usually quite easy to see as you record as the mic levels will certainly modulate at different levels on the VU metres.

If they are recorded mixed then unfortunately you can not un-mix them in post, as previous poster said..

I always record one mic to one channel even if I'm only using one mic. It's so easy to copy to both channels in post....
cheers
Gareth
Old March 22nd, 2016, 08:24 AM   #8
Major Player

That was it. It was set to mono instead of stereo so the tracks could not be separated in post. Once I switched it to stereo, I could see both channels on my recorder screen. Thanks for the help!
Brock Burwell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio