DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Which blimp to get? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/531504-blimp-get.html)

David Peterson March 30th, 2016 12:34 PM

Which blimp to get?

Would the Rode Blimp be the best Blimp to go for on a budget? Or is it worth spending a little more? (I'll be using it with a NTG2)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1056426-REG/rode_blimp_windsheild_rycote_lyre_suspension.html
Is the K-TEC better than the RODE Blimp perhaps?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/458958-REG/K_Tek_K_ZEPP_M_Zeppelin_with_Suspension.html
Or the Rycote?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1044548-REG/rycote_010321_super_shield_kit_medium.html
Which to pick!! So many options!!

Brian P. Reynolds March 30th, 2016 04:18 PM

Re: Which blimp to get?

I'm going to answer your questions with more questions....

Why a Rode NTG2? that mic has a very low output level compared to other mics do you need a low output level for some reason?

What are you recording on to?

Do you need a 'full' blimp? Are your shoots going to be in a VERY high wind location?

Would a 'softie' cover be better for you. I've been doing broadcast TV audio for 35+ years and only ever run blimps on outside broadcasts with mics exposed to the severe weather (high on camera scaffolds etc).
I have never run full blimps on my location kits.

David Peterson March 30th, 2016 07:10 PM

I need to be able to record in all conditions. I've often found a blimp to be essential.

I bought the NTG2 because way back when I purchased my Tascam DR60D mk1 it came with a really great combo deal to buy a NTG2 with it as well.

But recently I upgraded to a Sound Devices 552 which is what I'll be recording to.

Garrett Low March 30th, 2016 07:47 PM

IMO the Rycote is the best that I've used. The Rode does a good job but is a little heavy but it does save you some considerable cash. I own the Rode for that very reason. I also run it into a SD 552 but record out to a Tascam 680.

Gary Nattrass March 31st, 2016 01:04 AM

I would not spend a lot of $$$ on a blimp for an NTG2 as it is a pretty average mic so the rode one will do but even then an NTG3 and a softie will probably perform better as would a sennheiser 416 and softie.

I personally don't use blimps anymore and have found the AT875r and a rode PG2 with WS6 acceptable for most jobs!

Brian P. Reynolds March 31st, 2016 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Nattrass (Post 1911765)
I personally don't use blimps anymore and have found the AT875r and a rode PG2 with WS6 acceptable for most jobs!

Yep agree, producers these days are slightly more focused on sound (but not much) than they were 20 years ago.
Long ago people wanted to shoot anywhere and disregarded the sound, so 816's in blimps / high wind covers were the standard kit but these days at least most producers will back off if you insist the wind noise is to bad.

For me a 416 with a softie does 99% of outdoor shoots where a pole is needed. Also easier to travel with.

Rick Reineke March 31st, 2016 10:37 AM

I usually use the lighter Softie. On blustery days a zeppelin is usually required, Both my Softie and Zep are Rycote, I have a Rycote Windjammer over-cover for the Softie as well. The mic is a 416.

Brad Kraus March 31st, 2016 02:04 PM

Some great insight here! Would yo guys say that all softies are pretty much created equal? Or are some significantly better than others?

Rick Reineke March 31st, 2016 02:33 PM

I only have experience with the Rycote original, according to Rycote, the 'new' Super Softie is better, but it's not a substitute for a zep.

Paul R Johnson March 31st, 2016 02:37 PM

I've had a Sennheiser one for years, and it's been brilliant. The Rycote didn't survive being flattened, but to be honest, the Sennheiser one would have been the same.

My Rycote Softie didn't last too well (on an AT 815) - the pistol grip rubber split as the mic was a bit heavy, and the inside meshy stuff came away, making it droop, and look odd. It still worked up to the end, however.

David Peterson April 1st, 2016 05:31 AM

I had decided I'd go for Rycote, as it is only a little ish bit more than a RODE on B&H when comparing the prices listed on B&H.

But then I saw the RODE being sold on eBay for significantly less than at B&H, and that just made the RODE/Rycote price gap too big to ignore, so I ended up going with the RODE blimp:

Rode Blimp Windshield and Shock Mount | eBay

Erick Perdomo November 15th, 2017 02:25 PM

hi there...I hope this thread is "half-alive" at least...
I have a Rode NTG-2 on a boompole and I use a Sennheiser SKP100 G2 to make it wireless-it works fine indoors with a With Rode Windshield-Dead Cat...
I'm planning to do some interviews outdoors and I want to keep the Rode NTG-2 wireless with the SKP 100 attached. Question: will this combo fit inside a Rode Blimp R? Has anyone tried it? pls before I buy the blimp R.
Thanks!
Erick

David Peterson November 19th, 2017 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erick Perdomo (Post 1938628)
hi there...I hope this thread is "half-alive" at least...
I have a Rode NTG-2 on a boompole and I use a Sennheiser SKP100 G2 to make it wireless-it works fine indoors with a With Rode Windshield-Dead Cat...
I'm planning to do some interviews outdoors and I want to keep the Rode NTG-2 wireless with the SKP 100 attached. Question: will this combo fit inside a Rode Blimp R? Has anyone tried it? pls before I buy the blimp R.

Or dear god, please do not use a shotgun indoors! (except in rare circumstances)

Go for an Audix SCX1-HC / Oktava MK012 HC / Audio-Technica AT4053b / etc instead.

NTG2 is acceptable for outdoors however as a basic entry point shotgun, and the Rode Blimp v2 (not v1) is also an acceptable low priced blimp (heck it is the one I use myself!). It is rather roomy inside (too big in my opinion!). As for if your SKP100 G2 works within it, perhaps? But perhaps not, you're better off just mounting it directly underneath the blimp and attached to the boom pole (what is probably the most common place to put it).