Around ear, closed back headphones - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 19th, 2016, 11:10 PM   #31
Old Boot

Re: Around ear, closed back headphones

Decimal point missing?
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2016, 11:05 AM   #32
Trustee

Nope, no mistake: $1,499.99 and for an additional $299.00 you can replace the stock cable with a balanced one. Of course the kind of guy that buys these is the guy that wants to waste your time trying to tell you vinyl sounds better than digital audio ;-) ;-) ;-)

Like Greg said, think about how much good kit you can buy for $1,800.00

I am sure the Japanese cherry wood would hold up for about three days in my audio kit......

Steve
Old May 20th, 2016, 08:48 PM   #33
Trustee

Well, if you really want to go crazy with headphones you could get the Stax SR-009

https://www.staxusa.com/stax-sr-009.html

And, since they're electrostatic drivers you need a good amp to power them. Something like this would do:

https://www.staxusa.com/driver/stax-srm-007tii.html

I've listened to them and yes they are better than any other headphones that I've ever heard.
Old May 22nd, 2016, 12:34 AM   #34
Regular Crew

Quote:
Well, if you really want to go crazy with headphones you could get the Stax SR-009
They're not headphones, they're "earspeakers" according to the site. :)

- Greg
Greg Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2016, 05:34 AM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Digges View Post
... the guy .... trying to tell you vinyl sounds better than digital audio ;-) ;-) ;-)
Well ..... it DOES :)
Derek Heeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2016, 07:53 AM   #36
Inner Circle

For those who's brains can ignore clicks, pops, and surface noise, vinyl sounds better. Me? I'll take analog tape, please. :)
Old May 25th, 2016, 08:30 AM   #37
Major Player

Analogue tape is indeed a very good medium ( I still have a lot of original 15ips half track master recordings from the days when I used to record friends playing in bands ) but records , too , when well cared for and pressed in quality vinyl , really is the finest medium for home listening . My records don't have any pops or crackles , and even when played at 'realistic' levels , my recent purchases on 180g vinyl exhibit no audible surface noise .

I appreciate that digital media will measurably have a lower noise floor , but , subjectively , records do sound better .
Derek Heeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2016, 08:37 AM   #38
Major Player

For Sony 7506's, you can get an upgraded coiled cable that is vastly superior to the stock cable. It is made by Remote Audio and sold by Trew Audio. I had two pairs of 7506's upgraded.
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2016, 01:08 PM   #39
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
For those who's brains can ignore clicks, pops, and surface noise, vinyl sounds better. Me? I'll take analog tape, please. :)
Oh, so your brain can ignore only tape hiss? ;-)
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2016, 12:00 PM   #40
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
Oh, so your brain can ignore only tape hiss? ;-)
I hear the hiss, but if it's low enough, I tend to forget about it. Pops and clicks are like percussive events, so they always intrude for me.

Have you ever watched a film on an array of TVs with gaps (the bezel) between screens? It's really interesting. At first, one is very aware of the gaps. As soon as the story gets going, the gaps disappear in the mind. As soon as the key actor's face is intersected by a gap, the gaps re-appear. It's an odd sensation and shows how we can ignore very obvious flaws. Of course, different people have different sensitivities.

In my case, I tune out hiss quickly, but am never able to tune out pops and clicks. It doesn't help that I don't want to spend time and money on perfect cartridges, records, and cleaning. Digital definitely wins the convenience test. My personality isn't vinyl-compatible. :) That said, I still have my collection from the '70s.

Back on thread, I think there's a similar situation for selecting headphones. Is comfort paramount, or do you tend to tolerate it? Do you need a secure fit while actively moving about? Do you want a flat response for mixing? Do you want sound that "cuts through" for live monitoring? Do you want great isolation for loud venues?

The right answer depends both on the use case as well as the nature of the user.

As they say, "know thyself."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Know_thyself

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio