DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Synching timecode to Canon C100 MKii (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/531987-synching-timecode-canon-c100-mkii.html)

Marco Leavitt June 1st, 2016 07:42 PM

Synching timecode to Canon C100 MKii

Can you jam to this camera?

Gary Huff June 1st, 2016 08:37 PM

Re: Synching timecode to Canon C100 MKii

Yes, if you record with an Odyssey, Shogun, or Pix.

Marco Leavitt June 2nd, 2016 06:59 AM

So your saying you can only sync to an external recorder?

Rick Reineke June 2nd, 2016 08:58 AM

Jammed to what? TC audio recorder? (make/model) Would the TC link stay connected, or pulled and continued on free run? For long takes (concert/play), some kind of gen-lock would still be needed or it would likely drift, just like a non-TC set-up.

Marco Leavitt June 2nd, 2016 01:44 PM

Yes jammed to TC audio recorder, probably SD744t. No long takes. It's for an industrial. I would re-jam after each set-up.

Roly Osborne June 15th, 2016 01:57 PM

You could always use Tentacle Sync

Terence Morris May 9th, 2017 06:47 PM

Ambient Nanolockit?

Jim Feeley May 10th, 2017 01:33 PM

Working from memory here...

Which do you want to be the master clock, the C100 or the 744T?

C100 as master?
IIRC, the C100 only outputs its TC through the HDMI...not sure offhand how to pull that out so you could feed it to the 744T. And anyway, even if you could get it to work, that'd be a less-than-optimal way to work, I think, since the 744T has such a great and accurate clock and the C100 not so much.

744T as master?
Best approach, I think, would be to use the 744T to jam a small timecode box such as a Tentacle Sync, Mozegear TIG, Ambient NanoLockit, or something... and then feed the output into one of the C100's audio inputs....

Does this and everyone else's posts answer your question, or am I missing something?

Dan Brockett May 10th, 2017 04:48 PM

The new Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6 were made for this. HMDI output from C100 MII feeds Mix-Pre that records super high quality audio with TC lock to C100 MKII. Cheap too.

Jim Feeley May 11th, 2017 12:43 PM

That's a good suggestion.

Seems like it'd work great if you kept the MixPre and C100 cabled. But if you jammed or otherwise disconnected, I wonder if the C100 would hold time through setting changes, etc during the day. Perhaps just rejam with some higher frequency? I don't really know. Could be a great solution, though.

Those new MixPres are cool little recorders...

Dan Brockett May 11th, 2017 06:13 PM

Not sure if you've seen them in person Jim, I think SD's intention is that they stay with the DSLR mounted and plugged in, not sure what happens with the TC drift or if it is even possible to start and then disconnect HDMI and keep recording? I think the recording in HDMI mode is triggered by the camera so probably not possible to disconnect once recording has started but who knows? My only experience with HDMI recording is the Atomos recorders and they obviously have to stay tethered, being video devices, not sure about these new Sound Devices MixPre recorders. But they are really tiny and light weight so I think intended to stay with the camera they are plugged into?

Jim Feeley May 11th, 2017 08:18 PM

Ya, I've seen them. As you say, with HDMI connected it should work as planned. But when I see "jammed" I think of someone connecting a cable, syncing TC, and then disconnecting a cable. That may not be universal, so I shouldn't assume that. OTOH, some people freak at having anything attached to their camera, so I wonder if Marco (and others) would be resistant to attaching/cabling one of the new small MixPres to his camera. Not a bad way to go if you can make it work for you...

But with a 744T and a C100, I'd still go for a small TC box pumping into the 3.5mm audio jack of the C100...