hiss sound at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 2nd, 2016, 02:18 PM   #1
Major Player

hiss sound

i recorded someone with a mic but they were talking too low, i can raise it in post, but now there is a hiss,
its not overmodulated.
any way to minimize that hiss or remove??
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2016, 02:25 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: hiss sound

I don't think so. That's a classic mistake, and the reason it's best to record on the hot side, particularly with budget equipment which often has a higher level of internal noise (that's the hiss you're hearing). Go and sin no more!
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2016, 02:41 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Yes that's common. Usually a low talker, a low output mic + noisy preamps are the main ingredients.
Noise Reduction would likely help, as would processing with a low-pass filter x-over @ around 10k Hz (if it's dialog).
Can you post a short clip to demo the severity?
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2016, 04:33 PM   #4
Major Player

What sort of mic was used and at what distance from the person talking?
Brian P. Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2016, 06:39 PM   #5
Inner Circle

That hiss is the tell tail sign of cheap mics. To save money the internal components are made of snakes. Just be thankful they didn't use rattlers.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2016, 07:17 PM   #6
Major Player

Low cut filter completely removed it.
The mic was a rode ntg3, decent quality
Was going thru studio 1 adaptor
Old June 2nd, 2016, 08:04 PM   #7
Equal Opportunity Offender

The NTG3 is a proper broadcast grade boom mic and has very little self noise. What were you recording it in to?

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2016, 08:17 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Glad it worked out for you!
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2016, 08:51 PM   #9
Major Player

? Low cut filter...... Hiss is the other end of the frequency spectrum.
Brian P. Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2016, 09:29 PM   #10
Major Player

i was using a studio 1 xlr adapter into a small sony hd camera. ive had it awhile, havent had issues before,
but i had the volume control on that channel too low by accident. i turned it up on the other interviewees. it was fine.my mistake.
on my editing system, i applied the low cut filter, made an adjustment and all the hiss was gone. the high filter didnt do squat.
Old June 2nd, 2016, 09:49 PM   #11
Equal Opportunity Offender

It's probably the electronics of the camera that you were hearing when you gave it all a massive boost to get your levels up.

Very glad that it has worked for you. It's an awful thing to have sound bring apart the effort that has gone in to shooting something.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2016, 08:59 AM   #12
Inner Circle

er, a low cut filter cured it? A low cut filter removes bass, leaving the HF untouched - it removes rumble and wind noise to a degree - but shouldn't have any impact on hiss whatsoever? Mysterious!
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2016, 10:12 AM   #13
Inner Circle

The NG-3 is a good mic... but the conversion from a Phantom Powered preamp to unbalanced mic level could add to the noise, and most DSRL audio just plain sucks as well.
The OP could be confused by audio filter terminology: HP = low cut; LP= high cut.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2016, 01:18 PM   #14
Wrangler

Hiss is often pre-amp input stage noise, but could be anywhere in the chain. It is often found in low cost consumer gear pre-amps and cheap condenser mics. Low-pass (sometimes called hiss filters) and band pass filters can remove some of it. In many cases use of noise filters such as provided in Adobe Audition and other sound editing programs can help in post production. (Hi-pass filters are often used reduce hum, wind noise, some HVAC noise, and rumble.)

Avoiding the use of audio AGC can help keep it at bay by reducing noise floor level increases during quiet portion of program material. Use of noise gating and signal compression can help intelligibility, but may add their own artifacts to the sound.

With passive audio attenuators such as in the the studio 1 it is generally better to keep its level as high as you can, and reduce gain in the camcorder input. An external mic pre-amp may be needed in some cases if the camcorder input is really noisy and the mic has a low output, as with many dynamic mics.
Old June 8th, 2016, 09:09 AM   #15
Regular Crew

My understanding is that a low cut filter cuts out low frequency noises (low rpm electric motors, refrigerators, fans, etc.), and a high cut filter cuts out high frequency noises (high rpm electric motors, dentist drills, high speed wind, etc.).

Using different wording, a low pass filter will let the low frequencies pass, and a high pass filter will let the high frequencies pass. At least that's how I've used those labels in the past.

But I somehow get the impression that some of these posts are using the opposite interpretation. I must be missing something.
Andrew Taylor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio