Audio-technica lav recommendation at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 5th, 2016, 10:08 AM   #1
Trustee

Audio-technica lav recommendation

Hi,

I have an audio-techinica At8531 power module (AT8531 Power Module || Audio-Technica US) and so far I've been using it with a pair of AT831c lav mics. The sound isn't bad but I find these lavs are bulky and heavy. Does anyone recommend an option to these mics that works with the power module I own?
Old September 5th, 2016, 10:44 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Audio-technica lav recommendation

You can have a full-service microphone vendor like Oscar SoundTech wire one of their microphones for your power unit.

Or you could use something like the Rode lav (or headset) mic system which uses interchangeable connectors to fit a wide variety of destination gear.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2016, 03:07 AM   #3
Trustee

Do you have a link to the specific Rode lav system you've mentioned? I've typed Rove Lav on BH and this came up https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...op+Nav-Search=
Old September 6th, 2016, 05:23 AM   #4
Trustee

Rode Lavalier Microphone:
RØDE Microphones - Lavalier
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...icrophone.html

It is the size of a match-head. And with a cable that is detachable and replaceable in the field.
Furthermore, there are 10 different connectors which you can quickly attach to the cable to plug into most anything. I believe that one of them is compatible with your AT power box gadget.

There are also a wide variety of accessories for using the mic for different applications.

There are also two headset microphones with the same interchangeable cables/connectors, etc.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2016, 08:38 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I have a couple of the (1st generation) AT 899, which sounds good. The cables are rather stiff though.. Allegedly the later models have more flexible cables.
An OST mic yields the most bang-for-the-buck IMO. For around $200 USD, for a mic and a power supply / XLR adapter with the plug and jack. For instance a Sennheiser compatible mic could be used with a 100 series transmitter or in hard-wired config. The (Tram like) 801 and 802 have a presence peak. TL40 has a basically flat response.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2016, 09:21 AM   #6
Major Player

I own two AT 899's and they are really pretty good for the price. I use phantom power so I don't use a AA battery, and actually sounds better WITHOUT a battery and connected to phantom.

My only beef is that the cable is really unnecessarily long.

Jonathan
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio