Windscreen for RE50B at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 14th, 2016, 06:08 PM   #1
Major Player

Windscreen for RE50B

I own an RE50B which I often use to capture audio during outdoor wedding ceremonies when there are people reading texts but there is no PA system. Next month I will be shooting a wedding near the beach (fortunately not actually on the beach) and I believe the wind could get pretty intense. I have this windscreen that I've used in situations with very low wind speeds and it's worked well:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...C&A=details&Q=

However, I'm not sure what to expect from this windscreen if the winds are moderate to high. Does anyone have experience with this type of windscreen when shooting near the beach? Are there any alternatives that don't look too distracting/ugly?

Mike
Michael Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2016, 07:53 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Windscreen for RE50B

I rescind my previous skepticism about using the RE50 in high-wind. I was thinking of a different microphone. Contrariwise, the RE50 is legendary for its ability to perform well in poor conditions, including high wind, etc. That said, I would certainly bring along a foam gag and a fur cover just in case.

Last edited by Richard Crowley; September 15th, 2016 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Confused about microphone models.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2016, 09:01 PM   #3
Major Player

Do some trials beforehand, the RE50's have an internal foam screen inside the cage.

Omni mics are normally very good in wind.

A TV network I was working for were using Shure SM63 mics which were stunning in strong wind even with just a foam cover on them.
I can recall one news story that was sent back to the news room from a remote location where a cyclone was happening. The Jurno had one arm around a street sign so he wouldn't be blown away a standup to camera using the SM63, there was minimal wind noise on the mic, we even added wind noise from the camera top mic in the mix to add urgency to the story.

BTW. I still think the RE50 is better as TV mic for outdoors, but the SM63 would be better for a world traveler as it is very small and light weight.

But do some trials first.
Brian P. Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2016, 12:34 AM   #4
Trustee

The RE50B is a very good mic in windy locations to start with as it is Omni and has a good internal set-up.

We tend to use the larger angular wind shields on SKY sports as it helps with wind noise and also pop-ing as the presenters tend to us the mic's very close. We also use the same type on cardioid sennheiser radio mics that are becoming more prevalent.

There is also another version of this that seems to have a nylon type secondary cover on top of the foam and that is even better as it adds some waterproofing like the Uefa one pictured below,

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/...Jrd5hTRS1NhZ0=

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/...fqYlc2lt7BkGQ=

A good quality softie will also help but it tends to look a bit silly on a stick mic and I have some other foam wind shileds similar to the one you posted that seem to do a reasonable job, a high pass filter at around 120hz will also help get rid of low frequency buffeting noise.
Old September 15th, 2016, 06:59 AM   #5
Trustee

You could try the Remote Audio FatCat. It has thick short fur rather than long fur, so beyond 10 feet it just looks like a slightly larger black windscreen if the mic is visible during the ceremony.
I've had one for years and it has worked well in normal wind. I've never tried it in high wind, but it would certainly be better than just foam.

I didn't pay anything near the current price way back when I got mine. If you have any access to sewing talent, a DIY solution with similar material might be an option.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2016, 08:41 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I've seen many news reports in hurricane conditions with no windscreen at all (aside from the internal ones in the basket) or just a foam one. The RE50 is quite good in wind. I think a foam WS would be sufficient for interviews and such .For high gain nat sound (which the mic is not designed for), you may want more..Olsen/Windtech http://www.windtech.tv/ makes two-stage high-wind foam WSs as well as the MicMuff (MM-9) would may be of interest. The MicMuff is like a mini 'Windjammer'.
Rick Reineke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2016, 11:47 AM   #7
Major Player

I think it's a good idea to do a few tests before the wedding. We don't have very high wind speeds in Charlottesville and this wedding is 3 hours away near the beach, but I do have a tiny office fan that might be able to give me some insight into how well the foam windscreen works. It's not the end of the world if there's some wind noise in the audio since it's not the vows from the B&G, but of course I'd still like it to be minimal.

The Remote Audio FatCat looks like a great solution if the foam windscreen doesn't seem like it will work. However, is $65 on B&H and I don't know how often I will need it so hopefully the $5 foam windscreen that I have will work out.
Michael Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2016, 12:31 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Silverman View Post
I own an RE50B which I often use to capture audio during outdoor wedding ceremonies when there are people reading texts but there is no PA system. Next month I will be shooting a wedding near the beach (fortunately not actually on the beach) and I believe the wind could get pretty intense. I have this windscreen that I've used in situations with very low wind speeds and it's worked well:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...C&A=details&Q=

However, I'm not sure what to expect from this windscreen if the winds are moderate to high. Does anyone have experience with this type of windscreen when shooting near the beach? Are there any alternatives that don't look too distracting/ugly?
My local broadcast news crews all use RE50N/D-B mics. I've watched them use uncovered re50s during hurricane coverage (I'm in NC, USA where we actually get the occasional hurricane) with the wind threatening to blow the local reporter off a balcony. Clothes flapping all over. No wind noise from the mic. I've been able to hear sand hitting the mic, but still no wind noise.

I'm just sayin' I think you'll be fine. But it never hurts to have a "plan B". I just don't know of any wind jammers beyond the Rycote one:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...indjammer.html
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio