DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Anyone using a CS1? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/53272-anyone-using-cs1.html)

Marco Leavitt October 24th, 2005 10:34 AM

Anyone using a CS1?

Normally we use a hypercardiod for interiors, but with the low budget shoots we work on it's often (nearly half the time) just too noisy. I've been switching to a CS3e, which works surprisingly well indoors, but not so great in even a moderately bright room. Would a CS1 be a good choice for these situations? I have to wonder if the wider cardiod pattern isn't going to still be hearing an awful lot of that noise -- burbling sinks, buzzing lights, traffic noise outside, etc.

Anybody know how the AT4073 and MKH 416 compare to the CS3e based exclusively on indoor performance? Any other mics I should consider? The new Schoeps shotgun looks promising, but it's pricey and not too many people have had access to it, so it's still kind of a question mark. I know it's asking a lot of a shotgun to perform in these type of environments. It's triage more than anything. So far the CS3e has been a reasonable solution much of the time, but I'd really like to find another option to add some versatility.

Dave Largent October 24th, 2005 10:21 PM

I haven't had much luck using the 4073 indoors.
I used to have a CS-1 but got rid of it because the
sound from it was too thin.

Steve House October 25th, 2005 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marco Leavitt
Anybody know how the AT4073 and MKH 416 compare to the CS3e based exclusively on indoor performance? Any other mics I should consider? The new Schoeps shotgun looks promising, but it's pricey and not too many people have had access to it, so it's still kind of a question mark.

Schoeps has such an excellent reputation I'd be very surprised if their new mic wasn't top-notch. And who can resist that electric blue mic finish!!!!

Dave Largent October 25th, 2005 04:47 AM

Anyone heard the new Schoeps? Is it shipping yet?

Marco Leavitt October 25th, 2005 07:12 AM

New Schoeps has shipped. I know a couple of dealers who have had them in (not sponsors, sorry).

Dave, I agree, the CS1 does sound a little thin from clips I've heard, but it may be a necessary evil. How would you say it performed compared to a Schoeps in a reverberant space? Do you think it would buy me anything in terms of noise control compared to the MK41?

I'm pretty excited about the new Schoeps shotgun as well. A dealer I spoke with said it blew the MKH60 away in his opinion.

Dave Largent October 25th, 2005 07:42 AM

Marco, I've never tried a Schoeps, but I had my partner
listen to the CS-1 up against a couple other mikes
and he was not impressed with the sound of the
CS-1, which was the same way I felt in the comparison.
The mic sounded like it costed a lot less than what
it actually did.
(Just speaking here about the "sound" of it, not addressing
directional/rejection aspects.)

Marco Leavitt October 25th, 2005 08:11 AM

There's bound to be some tradeoffs. I would expect the lack of bass to actually be a help in the environments I would use this mic.

Dave Largent October 25th, 2005 08:39 AM

I tell ya. When that mic first came out you couldn't
say one bad word about it or everyone jumped
all over you. I posted (not here) at the time it first came out
that it was thin and the reply was " 'you're full of it'
because everyone at RAMPS says it's 'God's gift' ".
But now I see that some others have come
forward to say it's not perfect.

Marco Leavitt October 25th, 2005 08:59 AM

I guess it's a tool, like anything. Useful for some situations, not the best choice for others. I feel similarly about the CS3e. It's not the most beautiful sounding mic in the world (although it does sound pretty good), but damn is it a lifesaver. The more I use that mic the more it impresses me. In fact, I've decided we need another one.

Matt Gettemeier October 25th, 2005 04:37 PM

What you need if you want to use a shotgun indoors is bass-cut and sensitivity cut at the mic. Plus the mic has got to be really good to begin with... while the CS3e is one of the best shotguns available I don't think you have enough bass cut with the -3db knee at 100Hz. That is still an excellent shotgun and should handle many interiors because it lacks the typical tail that many guns have... but I think it needs a sensitivity adjustment plus a more aggressive bass cut.

The 4073a didn't work good for interiors in my experience... never once.

The 416 actually worked okay a few times, but I think that was partially due to it's lack of tail (like the CS3e)... so I doubt it would perform any better then the Sanken... and it's got NO bass-cut so that can be a problem on occasion.

I think your best bet will be a hyper every time.

Marco Leavitt October 26th, 2005 08:29 AM

Really Matt? Maybe I've been underappreciating the CS3e. I've used it indoors lots of times and it worked great.

Looks like B&H has the new Schoeps in. I'm really anxious to hear some field reports about that mic.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search