Revisiting pocket recorder with lavalier mic. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 25th, 2016, 09:16 AM   #1
Trustee

Revisiting pocket recorder with lavalier mic.

I noticed today that a Tascam pocket recorder with only a lavalier mic input was again listed as an upcoming product at an online vendor.

This was mentioned quite awhile back, then it disappeared supposedly due to a patent dispute.

In the meantime juicedLink brought out a model but I haven't used one.

Anyone purchased a juicedLink model or have any tradeshow hands-on with the new Tascam?

Last edited by Jay Massengill; October 25th, 2016 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Greater specificity.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2016, 10:08 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Revisiting pocket recorder with lavalier mic.

I don't think there are any patent disputes about recorder with lav mics. We have been doing that for decades. Do you mean a transmitter with an integrated recorder? Zaxcom seems to have snagged a patent on would appear to be an obvious thing.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2016, 10:50 AM   #3
Trustee

Yes, that was the patent that was mentioned before. What I read was it dealt with the distinction between a pocket-sized recorder which also had built-in mics (and therefore other common purposes) being used in a pocket with an attached lav, versus a purpose-built recorder that only uses a lav to record in the pocket. And the mere hassle and legal expense of dealing with Zaxcom's patent claim that it didn't actually have to also be a transmitter, prompted Tascam to not release that recorder in the US even though they did release the model that has a built-in XLR jack for use with a handheld mic.

It was on the internet... so who knows the real truth.

At least it seems this Tascam device is going to be released again so there will be another choice available. The date listed is November 1st, but that could vary too like it always can with new products.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2016, 11:41 AM   #4
Trustee

Are you perhaps referring to the DR-10L?
Product: DR-10L | TASCAM
Attached Images

Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2016, 03:12 PM   #5
Trustee

Yes, that's the model. Street price $170 with an included lav and other typical small accessories.

I could also pair this recorder with one of my digital micro-sized transmitter/receiver pairs to send the DR-10L headphone monitor audio to a camera, mixer, or just to monitor it distantly with headphones attached to the digital receiver.

In looking at the Tascam product pages I see now the difference in the models that still aren't available in the US is they have a loop-through connection to attach to a transmitter input using the specific lavalier mic connector type for that brand of transmitter..

Last edited by Jay Massengill; October 26th, 2016 at 09:18 AM.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio