Decent wireless bodypack - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 8th, 2016, 05:53 AM   #16
Trustee

Re: Decent wireless bodypack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Smith View Post
but it has delay issues.
The Sennheiser AVX does have delay issues. Trying to mix it with other analogue UHF wireless mics we measured about a 20 milliseconds delay which is close to half a PAL frame. Half a frame out causes unacceptable echo issues. Most broadcasters would not accept this on signal QC.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2016, 02:45 PM   #17
Major Player

What would you recommend for over $1000? Lectros? Is there a wireless system that sounds almost as good as wire (is that even possible?)?
Kathy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2016, 04:29 PM   #18
Inner Circle

You could get a used 200 series (UM200 transmitter; 211 receiver) for a little over $1k (usually w/o a mic). The receiver is kind of big for a small cam though and the internal batteries (two 9 volts) only run it for 3-4 hrs. There's usually some clean spaces in blocks 20 & 21 for Manhattan and those blocks are in the upper 400> 500 Mhz range so they'll be FCC legal for a few years anyway. If you upgrade to the 400 series, the receiver will also work with 200 series transmitters, not digitally though.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2016, 05:43 PM   #19
Major Player

What if money was not an issue?
How are wireless sets from Zaxcom?
Kathy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2016, 06:58 PM   #20
Trustee

Over here on this side of the Pond, Lectrosonics and Zaxcom are at the top of the list, and over in the Old World they like Audio Ltd a lot.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2016, 07:01 PM   #21
Equal Opportunity Offender

The Zaxcom gear is something that I had my heart set on due to the digital quality and also the TX pack having its own internal .wav recording of audio ... giving you the ultimate in bullet-proof audio capture.

The price was an issue, though. Just couldn't stomach it ... and I'm a person who believes in buying once and buying well.

The Rode gear gives me the digital quality that I was aspiring to have, and I can't fault it at all. I'm very happy with what I have now. By all means spend more money if you really want to.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2016, 02:19 AM   #22
Trustee

Totally Sennheiser high end where I work and we have lots of channels working great.
Old November 10th, 2016, 03:28 PM   #23
Inner Circle

I've reversed my opinion in the past year. I bought a sackful of 2.4GHz radio systems and they perform really well. However, I won't be buying any more because 2.4GHz is simply too busy - and I'm not just talking about the usual users - Every lighting control and sound mixer, sound processor and video link is now using the band too. The mics, to be fair, seem to be the strongest and most reliable link, but the lighting guy is sending his DMX via 2.4GHz, and has another system to control the desk from the stage area, where the mic receiver racks are. The sound people wander around with iPads and somebody always drops their link - and has a panic attack trying to regain control. If you don't work in live events, maybe it's not so bad - but I do and the over occupancy of 2.4GHz is becoming a problem.

If it helps - I'm planning to buy another 6 channels of Sennheiser in ch 38.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio