DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Good value XLR cables (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/533288-good-value-xlr-cables.html)

Marco Leavitt December 21st, 2016 09:49 AM

Good value XLR cables

Asking on behalf of a friend. I've always used Canare and that's more than he want to spend. I've told him whatever he buys must have Neutrik connectors. I'm not sure what else to recommend. I was going to suggest Audiotechnica cables. I've got a few and they seem okay. Thoughts, anybody?

Richard Crowley December 21st, 2016 12:21 PM

Re: Good value XLR cables

I've made my own cables for 50 years. My XLR cables that haven't been lost or stolen were made from Belden cable and Switchcraft connectors and still going strong.

I now use Canare or Mogami or Redco cable and Amphenol or Neutrik or Switchcraft connectors from Redco Audio - Audio/Video Supplies and Accessories, Custom Cables and Panels, and more They are all equally competent IMHO.

If I had to buy ready-made cables, I would go to Redco Audio - Audio/Video Supplies and Accessories, Custom Cables and Panels, and more and select from scores of different cables and nearly 100 different connectors of your choice. They will assemble them for you at a very sensible price.

IME, if you buy something in a blister-pack hanging from a peg at the guitar store (or online), you really never know what you are getting. XLR and TRS connectors are among the easiest to terminate of any kind of connector. It is not difficult to learn how to do it right. And then you can not only make you own cables however you like, but you can also repair them, etc.

Marco Leavitt December 21st, 2016 02:42 PM

I've let him know that cheap cables will bite you on the A$$ eventually. No way is he going to build his own and I'm not doing it for him (not that I'm much good at it either). He's looking at a cable run of about 120 feet and will have to cross a power cable at least once, maybe twice on the way over.

Marco Leavitt December 21st, 2016 02:45 PM

Hmm. That Redco cable looks all right. Fifty cents a foot doesn't seem too bad.

Jim Feeley December 21st, 2016 08:22 PM

I mostly make my own cables, too.

In addition to Redco, you could check out Marketek's cables (made by one of their subsidiary companies, I think). Note that some of the prices you see on this page are for the longest cable option. But they have lots of lengths and colors:
XLR Cables | Markertek

Or perhaps a local dealer carries Remote Audio...I have some of their specialty cables (such as for timecode). Well made.
Single Interconnects – Remote Audio

Rick Reineke December 23rd, 2016 10:05 AM

I've been making my own cables as well for a long, long time. Most are Canare Star-quad with Neutrik connectors. The cable stock is about $0.50 a foot and the XLRs are about $3 each.

"I've let him know that cheap cables will bite you on the A$$"
- For sure. The band I'm currently working with (FOH mixer) has a lot of cheap cables, and about every gig I discover another one that's compromised. At a recent gig in the Hackensack NJ area, I was getting RF from a local 50kW AM radio transmitter. I replaced the offending ones with one of my Canares, problem solved. Not only are cheap cables unreliable, they are a PITA to uncoil and wrap.