XLR adapter for camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 13th, 2017, 06:54 AM   #1
Major Player

XLR adapter for camera

Hi,
I am looking for an XLR adapter for my Canon XC10.
I tried the Saramonic MixMic and I had to return it.. Rubbish. You get all strange noises and at some point Phantom power stopped working.
I see there are many adapters that go under the camera. I really prefer the upper hot shoe solution.. like Canon, Panasonic or Sony solutions (these are proprietary unfortunately).
Anthing to sugest?
Thanks
Marcello Mazzilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2017, 07:13 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: XLR adapter for camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcello Mazzilli View Post
Hi,
I am looking for an XLR adapter for my Canon XC10.
I tried the Saramonic MixMic and I had to return it.. Rubbish. You get all strange noises and at some point Phantom power stopped working.
I see there are many adapters that go under the camera. I really prefer the upper hot shoe solution.. like Canon, Panasonic or Sony solutions (these are proprietary unfortunately).
Anthing to sugest?
Thanks
Hi there
When I was shooting on DSLR's I used a JuicedLink RM222. It is larger than teh unit you returned but can be attached via hot shoe or tripod mount. It gives a nice clean signal, has phantom power and is pretty robust.
Cheers
Gareth
Old February 13th, 2017, 07:26 AM   #3
Trustee

I assume you need 2 XLR inputs? There are some smaller single XLR devices, but let us know if you need 2 versus 1.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2017, 07:35 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Gareth.... Seems solid but quite big and bulky, specially if mounted on hotshoe. I don't think this is what I am looking for

Hi Jay. Yes. I would like 2x XLR with phantom power / mic / line like ones that can be found on broadcast cameras. The Saramonic (on paper) was perfect but.. it's rubbish.
I found this. Do you know it? https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...r_adapter.html
Anything smaller?
Old February 13th, 2017, 08:03 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I have the Saramonic SR-AX107 and it sits between the tripod and camera ..works perfectly and done hundreds of weddings with it. Cannot fault it over the last 2 years ... Beachtek are nice too but double the price! the 107 has two channels with gain control and hi lo switches ..mic or line on each channel plus peaking on each channel. Record back output plus a monitor output too and a headphone amp. My model also has an AGC defeat mode and it can get confusing if you need to use it ...."ON" means allow the camera AGC to work and "OFF" means defeat the AGC ... Mine has had no issues with Phantom power either!! 12v or 48v ....It is the adapter only without a mic which suits me as my wireless transmitters feed each channel!
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2017, 08:08 AM   #6
Major Player

I prefer realy a hotshoe mount, light. The design should be like standard ones.. for example.. like what comes with the XC15 (identical to my camera, just with audio.. but I can't mount it on mine). Small, hotshoe, ....possibiy black :)
Old February 13th, 2017, 09:59 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcello Mazzilli View Post
Thanks Gareth.... Seems solid but quite big and bulky, specially if mounted on hotshoe. I don't think this is what I am looking for
I looked at a lot of units too when I was in the market for such a unit. There are several sizes and versions the Riggy Micro is pretty small.. I had no problem using it with a 5D3.
Not sure you'll find much with 2 xlr's and phantom power that is smaller and has good quality preamps. Teh Juiced link has excellent preamps.

cheers
Gareth
Old February 13th, 2017, 11:16 AM   #8
Major Player

Not sure if you still get them. But the "i rig pre" with a slight mod gave excellent results.
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2017, 12:54 PM   #9
Trustee

The single-XLR iRig pre is still available. I'm trying to get one but haven't done it yet.

It would need an output adapter to go from TRRS mobile device to TRS unbalanced stereo mini for a dSLR style camera or audio recorder. Those are readily available in both straight and right-angle versions of a few inches length.

Was there ever a two-XLR version of it?

The iRig uses a 9volt battery, has switchable phantom power and is not very large but you'd have to rig up a mount.

I spotted one hanging by an XLR cable off a podium in a news conference video feeding a tablet sitting on the floor.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2017, 01:56 PM   #10
Regular Crew

IK Multimedia | iRig Pro DUO

This has two XLR ins and a 3.5mm out.

Fran
Fran Guidry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2017, 09:48 PM   #11
Inner Circle

The Tascam DR-70D is a nice unit. I had the older model and the only problem with it was it ate batteries like a demon. The new ones are lower profile and supposedly have better battery life, but you could always power it with an external battery if you needed to. Having a backup audio recording is a great feature, as are the extra tracks.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...recording.html
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2017, 06:39 PM   #12
Inner Circle

I have an older version of this, https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...Camcorder.html

When I was using it, it worked well for what I needed.
Old March 1st, 2017, 01:54 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
IK Multimedia | iRig Pro DUO

This has two XLR ins and a 3.5mm out.

Fran
I had missed your msg.. seems interesting.. and it's Italian like myself
Old March 8th, 2017, 09:37 AM   #14
New Boot

For this type of thing I'm a huge fan of the Sound Devices MixPre-D. You could mount it on the shoe of your camera, but I'd not recommend doing that. I'm not a fan of mounting much of anything in the shoe of the camera other than something really really small and lightweight that doesn't have stuff plugged into it. You're going to put a lot of stress on that shoe if you do. Plus, stuff just gets in the way when it's up there and you have cables plugged in unless you mount the camera in something like a K-Tek Norbert frame, which is really solid and designed for mounting stuff all around your camera.

I've used the MixPre-D a ton mounted underneath a DSLR and loved it. I run audio to the camera, but that's just my scratch track. I'll take the main outputs and run those to a real recorder and do double system, but it all depends on your budget, but for sure this device is not something to skimp on. You paid a good amount for the visual side of things. Audio budget deserves some love as well.
Dave Fisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2017, 11:07 AM   #15
Major Player

Thanks.
I have a Tascam dr40 for separate recording but i want to build a lighy setup for my b-camera. Cam has (in my opinion) good preamps and line input selection. Now I have a Sennheiser mke400 (i select mic) for ambient or (not and) a sennheiser radio mic (i select in line),,. Would be nice to have thr teo at the same time
Marcello Mazzilli is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio