DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Alternative to gaffer tape (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/533994-alternative-gaffer-tape.html)

Michael Silverman April 26th, 2017 07:35 AM

Alternative to gaffer tape

I've used gaffer tape to create a couple of triangles to mount lavalier mics under the collar of talent but it's so sticky that it's often hard to remove from the lav and it removes the black coating from the lav. I tried using topstick tape but it leaves a sticky residue on the lav. Does anyone know of another type of tape that is "just right" for mounting lavs under shirt collars? I've tried using Rycote stickies but I've had a couple mics fall off of them.

Thanks,

Mike

Nate Haustein April 26th, 2017 08:23 AM

Re: Alternative to gaffer tape

I've been using these Rode Invisilav mounts with some strips of double sided hair tape. The larger surface area of the mount helps to give the tape something to stick to. It works with the Rode mics of course, but I didn't have any trouble putting a slightly larger ECM-77 in it either.

Rick Reineke April 26th, 2017 08:28 AM

Gaffer tape? what's that.
BubbleBee has some relativity new mounting accessories that may be useful. I haven't tried them yet, but our friend Dave Fisk worked for BubbleBee around the time the product was released and may elaborate.
Thomas Popp's in-depth tutorial on Udemy is worth the time and money IMO and covers many mounting scenarios and accessories. . https://www.udemy.com/dttwbook/

Addendum: Rycote just intro'd the new 'Advanced Stickies' at NAB.

Michael Silverman April 26th, 2017 08:57 AM

Fantastic! I just ordered some of this:

https://www.bubblebeeindustries.com/...invisible-tape

It's a little pricey but I think it looks like a good solution.

I'll let you all know if it doesn't work for some reason.

Mike

Garrett Low April 27th, 2017 07:28 AM

3M surgical tape. It's white so you have to make sure that it's hidden but it stick pretty well to cloth. Sometimes it leaves a bit of residue of you leave it on for hours but not usually. I got hooked up with that stuff when I had to have a surgery and they used it to tape all types of stuff down, including gauze and other fabrics. I also use that along with mole skin when wiring under the shirt. Sticks to skin really well too.

Bruce Watson April 27th, 2017 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garrett Low (Post 1931316)
3M surgical tape.

Yep, this.

Jim Feeley April 27th, 2017 10:09 AM

Geez, I have so many kinds of tapes. I like Blenderm, Mepitac silicon tape, Kenisio tape, transpore, Depends on how much stick I need, what I'm sticking against, etc. Residue is part of the gig, sadly.

So to remove heavy glue from cables, I typically use Oops (an alternative to Goo Gone), and then denatured alcohol to remove the Oops residue (otherwise, the Oops/Goo Gone residue will keep anything from sticking to the cable next time). Simple Green works OK, too. But this approach is typically a "back at the ranch" solution.

Or on set/in a hurry: Baby wipes and then alcohol prep wipes to remove residue. Works pretty well, less mess and cleanup.

Rick Reineke April 27th, 2017 11:01 AM

I love Transpore, but hate the residue it leaves behind on the mic, cables, ect. In my experience, Goo Gone, alcohol, WD40, mineral oil do not work very well. on it. Surgical tape remover works good, except it's not widely available, at least in the usual suspect med stores like CVS, Rite Aid, ect. Cigarette lighter fluid allegedly works ok, but it's obviously quite flammable.. as is EverClear grain alcohol, which I use to use for tape head cleaner in recording studios. I was also known to take a sip or two..

Christopher Young April 27th, 2017 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garrett Low (Post 1931316)
3M surgical tape. .

+1 on the surgical tape. Works a treat!

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Adam Grunseth April 30th, 2017 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate Haustein (Post 1931263)
I've been using these Rode Invisilav mounts with some strips of double sided hair tape. The larger surface area of the mount helps to give the tape something to stick to. It works with the Rode mics of course, but I didn't have any trouble putting a slightly larger ECM-77 in it either.

I'm another one who uses the Rode Invisilavs. Even without the double sided tape, you can tuck the mic inside the invisilav, then use gaff tape over the top. The invisilav protects the mic from the gaff tape, and the invisilav works wonders to help reduce clothing noise.

Dave Fisk May 4th, 2017 09:59 AM

Bubblebee has the invisible lav tape and Rycote has the stickies.

Dan Brockett May 5th, 2017 07:02 AM

Using both the Bubblebee covers and the Rycote Overcover and Undercovers, they work great. Gaffer tape triangles are so 1990s ;-)