Improving badly recorded audio can it be done? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 2nd, 2017, 11:34 PM   #31
Major Player

Re: Improving badly recorded audio can it be done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
The problem with weddings is that once a ceremony is in progress you can't just interrupt the vows if your hear your audio system fails, the only difference between being able to monitor the sound and not being able is that you can hear your audio fail but you can't do anything about it, so much for being a "professional" :)
Very true! While having high quality wireless would be fantastic.

The truth is when filming a wedding solo (or even as a two person band) it is a lot and a LOT of work to juggle and manage all at once!! Unfortunately you will barely have time to monitor all the wireless all the time anyway.

Thus as much as a hate to say it.... using the likes of multiple Tascam DR10L (or a Lectrosonics PDR if you have the budget!) is a very reasonable compromise to make for weddings!
David Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2017, 06:19 AM   #32
Inner Circle

I feel more comfortable with a wireless on the groom because it's easier to do a sound check. While you cant do anything once it starts, you can monitor it and do something beforehand . Where as with a recorder if you forgot to press record or the batteries died you'd be none the wiser.

There's nothing wrong with using recorders. I use them to cover multiple sources for weddings too. One thing for sure there is a lot going on with a wedding, you really need to have reliable equipment, an organized and efficient process to deploy and use it, and to be mentally sharp under pressure. It's easy to forget or miss something.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2017, 04:41 PM   #33
Trustee

Now that the OP has reached a resolution I have a question for the recorder vs lav discussion. I have read a lot of views on that in the wedding section and now here. But no one ever mentions "levels". For the recorder guys how do you deal with achieving proper recording levels?

There is no such thing as good AGC (auto gain control) on any recording device regardless of price. Some are just better than others. I do not like AGC and will only use it on back up records I hope to never use. The purpose of monitoring audio recording at all times is not only to hear problems it is to adjust the gain on the fly. Are you using AGC on your set it and forget recorders or are you guessing at a proper record level?

Kind Regards,

Steve
Old September 5th, 2017, 11:31 PM   #34
Inner Circle

Most people just go conservative and raise it in post. One of the reasons the Tascam is popular it can record at two levels.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio