DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Upgrade to Sennheiser G3? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/534546-upgrade-sennheiser-g3.html)

Alfred Okocha August 15th, 2017 04:07 PM

Upgrade to Sennheiser G3?

Hi there!

I'm looking for a replacement to my Sennheiser G3. Since I know next to nothing about sound I'm here for some sound advice..

I use it (with an a SONY FS5) for street interviews and would like to combine it with a lav mic. So, I can use one receiver for either a hand mic or a lav.
My G3 has been good and worked well for me but is not reliable anymore. now I'd like to know if there has been some upgrades in sound that i don't know about and where to go in that case.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Tony McGuire August 16th, 2017 02:18 AM

Re: Upgrade to Sennheiser G3?

Hi Alfred,

I would like to know what you mean as in " not reliable anymore". Is it interference from other mics or is just the age of the kit.

I have the G2 myself and I do get a bit of interference on it but its not bad. It would be just the odd time I would have the bother with interference. I have looked and I don't think there is anything as good as the Sennheiser out there. I have the full kit ( Lav bodypack, plugin module, handheld mic and the pack for the camera) . I have bought mine second hand and I have relpaced both packs aerials (antennas).

Phil Goetz August 16th, 2017 09:12 AM

I am wondering if there will be a spectrum repack and some frequencies dis-allowed in the US. Sennheiser usually has a good trade in program if this happens.

Rick Reineke August 16th, 2017 11:28 AM

The RF environment is constantly changing, especially of late with the FCC re-packing. "Not reliable anymore" is likely a new source of interference (usually intermittent RF hits). Unfortunately the 100 series receiver's scanner is not sensitive enough for anything other than other transmitters in use, so frequency selection needs to be done with a external scanner.. or at least consulting an up-to-date website to find and steer clear of strong TV channels in the area, along with trial & error and dumb luck For someone who cannot deal with frequency selection, one of the new GHz models may be good, but that opens a new set of issues. Pros and cons with all the systems.. VHS, UHF and SHF (cellular frequencies).

Alfred Okocha August 18th, 2017 01:53 AM

Hi there!
It's the hand mic that is giving me headache. I tried the lav in the same environment and same frequency and it was fine.

The sound also drops out completely sometimes.

Do you have any experience with Sonys UWP systems?

Thanks.

Rick Reineke August 18th, 2017 07:53 AM

There's an issue with the your SKM H/H transmitter module then. Check the battery contacts, exercise and inspect any switches and trim pots, and look for any abnormalities. Otherwise repair or replace.

I have no hands-on experience with the Sony system. The general consensus is, more self noise than the G3, but otherwise it's decent. I like the fact that the plug-on transmitter has 48v Phantom Power, whereas, the G3 SKP100 does not. Sennheiser's more expensive 300 or 2000 series plug-on is compatible though. Sony's UWP receiver is also true diversity. The EK100 Sennheiser receiver is different diversity design which uses the audio output cable as the secondary antenna.

Alfred Okocha August 19th, 2017 05:59 AM

Thanks guys!

I got a replacement today but the new mic just won't leave MUTE. Have any of you had this issue? I've toggled the hand mic on and off a hundred times, but still stuck on MUTE.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Alfred

Bernie Beaudry August 19th, 2017 08:08 AM

If you press the on button too long I think it powers on with the audio muted. Not sure about that but it could be the issue. Just hold the button on until you see something on the screen and then let go. The manual should have some info on this.

Rick Reineke August 19th, 2017 08:42 AM

Make sure the transmitter and receiver are set to the same frequency.. if not the receiver will auto mute; and both devices should have the pilot tone enabled. Make sure it's not 'locked' as well. It may have been locked w/ mute engaged. If it is; press the SET button, then press the UP/DOWN select buttons to toggle lock ON/OFF.

Alfred Okocha August 22nd, 2017 09:10 AM

None of it worked. Must have been a faulty ex. I've sent it back.

I might buy a new G3 though. Sony looks interesting but the new AVX perhaps not as much.

Thanks for all you input guys!

Rick Reineke August 22nd, 2017 10:12 AM

The Sennheiser AVX transmitter uses the same input config as the G series, so your lav mics would work. It has some kind of an auto gain system, but it allegedly works OK, w/o the atypical pumping. The whopping 19 millisecond latency could be an issue for monitoring on-set. Easily correctable in post though if it's noticeable.. Don't know about the range, most of the new SHF systems have less range than a UHF and line-of-sight is of more importance.

Pete Cofrancesco August 22nd, 2017 12:13 PM

I own Sony UWP-d11 (lav &receiver) the d16 package includes a mic butt plug. My previous system the hand held unit went bad too...

Rick Reineke August 22nd, 2017 07:17 PM

"My previous system the hand held unit went bad too.."
- Which one.. Sennheiser or Sony ??

Pete Cofrancesco August 22nd, 2017 08:10 PM

Sony. I still have it. Just occurred to me I was trying to use it with a dynamic mic. I wouldnt be surprised if that was the issue, transmitter can't power dynamic mics.

Brian P. Reynolds August 23rd, 2017 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco (Post 1935734)
Sony. I still have it. Just occurred to me I was trying to use it with a dynamic mic. I wouldnt be surprised if that was the issue, transmitter can't power dynamic mics.

WHAT...... Dynamic mics DON'T need powering....

The Sony UWP-D systems is a very robust system (love them, I have 6x setups)

I suggest a little more time going through the manual