Lectrosonics transmitter/receiver at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 7th, 2017, 11:47 AM   #1
Major Player

Lectrosonics transmitter/receiver

Hi,

I'd like to buy Lectrosonics wireless portable transmitter and receiver. I was looking at the Micro Belt-Pack Transmitter and LR - L-Series Wireless Receiver. I'm not sure if I'm sacrificing anything with the Micro transmitter and would be better off getting one of the other transmitters. Is there something better than Lectrosonics? I'm not concerned about the cost, I want something of high quality and dependibility. Can someone give me some guidance here. I normally use a cable and I know that's the best but once in a while I have to use a wireless system, so it would be great to have something that is as close to cable as possible.

Thanks
Kathy
Kathy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2017, 01:01 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Lectrosonics transmitter/receiver

I don't have any of the L-Series Lectros, but aside from the lower battery economy my SM TXs seem on par with the larger U400. I occasionally rent a Zaxcom system with the TRX recording transmitter (w/ never clip). It's not miniature, but it's the only recording Tx on the market AFAIK. Zaxcom's new ZMT3 Tx is is worthy of checking out, which is small to the extreme. The trouble with small devices, they get lost more often and you have to fight with production for replacements. I really like the Zax and am contemplating getting rid of my Lectros in favor of the Zax,. Unfortunately, funds are an issue for me.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2017, 02:28 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Reineke View Post
I don't have any of the L-Series Lectros, but aside from the lower battery economy my SM TXs seem on par with the larger U400. I occasionally rent a Zaxcom system with the TRX recording transmitter (w/ never clip). It's not miniature, but it's the only recording Tx on the market AFAIK. Zaxcom's new ZMT3 Tx is is worthy of checking out, which is small to the extreme. The trouble with small devices, they get lost more often and you have to fight with production for replacements. I really like the Zax and am contemplating getting rid of my Lectros in favor of the Zax,. Unfortunately, funds are an issue for me.
Thanks, I just looked at Zaxcom, very interesting, about the same price as Lectrosonics but many more features. But which receiver could I use with it? Maybe I don't understand something but they only have one small receiver ERX3TCD, but how do you connect it to the recorder?
Old October 7th, 2017, 05:27 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Most their current receivers and transmitters are compatible. I recall, I had the two channel version of the RS900.
"but how do you connect it to the recorder?"
The back up recorder is build into the Tx. If the Rx loses signal (out of range or interference) The recorded track/ file can be substituted or layed back in post. The files also have a TC stamp, so it's allegedly quick and easy.. On the projects I used it on, I didn't needed Tx audio files, so I never actually did it.
Glenn and the Zaxcom folks will be at the at the JJ Convention Ctr for the AES show. Visit them for more info. I think you can still get free AES exhibit passes, if you haven't already. Zax HQ is also close by in Pompton Plains (Jersey that is).
Old October 7th, 2017, 09:11 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Most their current receivers and transmitters are compatible. I recall, I had the two channel version of the RS900.
"but how do you connect it to the recorder?"
The back up recorder is build into the Tx. If the Rx loses signal (out of range or interference) The recorded track/ file can be substituted or layed back in post. The files also have a TC stamp, so it's allegedly quick and easy.. On the projects I used it on, I didn't needed Tx audio files, so I never actually did it.
Glenn and the Zaxcom folks will be at the at the JJ Convention Ctr for the AES show. Visit them for more info. I think you can still get free AES exhibit passes, if you haven't already. Zax HQ is also close by in Pompton Plains (Jersey that is).
I didn't mean the back up recorder, how do I connect it to my main recorder?
Old October 8th, 2017, 08:10 AM   #6
Inner Circle

"how do I connect it to my main recorder?"
- Just like any other wireless mic.
Old October 8th, 2017, 08:42 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
"how do I connect it to my main recorder?"
- Just like any other wireless mic.
I didn't mean how to connect the mic. How do I connect the receiver to my audio recorder. Maybe the images they have on their website don't show the connection? See the attachment. Is the connection on the bottom? The image shows the top.
Attached Thumbnails
Lectrosonics transmitter/receiver-screen-shot-2017-10-08-10.38.55-am.png  
Old October 8th, 2017, 11:28 AM   #8
Inner Circle

If that's the ERX3TCD TC/IFB receiver, it is more for monitoring an audio mix and displays/outputs LTC. Good for a scripty, general IFB duties or a cam hop for instance. It has one 1/8" stereo unbalanced audio out (HP jack) which 'could' be used to feed a recorder, though it's HP impedance (32ohm) and level. Not Ideal for feeding a +4 line level balanced input.
Old October 8th, 2017, 12:48 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
If that's the ERX3TCD TC/IFB receiver, it is more for monitoring an audio mix and displays/outputs LTC. Good for a scripty, general IFB duties or a cam hop for instance. It has one 1/8" stereo unbalanced audio out (HP jack) which 'could' be used to feed a recorder, though it's HP impedance (32ohm) and level. Not Ideal for feeding a +4 line level balanced input.
Well, I don't see anything else that's small and portable. Do they not make a receiver that can be taken into a field?
Old October 8th, 2017, 01:59 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Sure, Zaxcom makes portable receivers, but not small enough to mount on a DSLR. The Lectro LR looks nice, it's about the size of a portable G3, a little flatter maybe. No recording transmitters though, at least until a loophole is found for the Zax recording-transmitter patent.
Old October 9th, 2017, 05:20 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Sure, Zaxcom makes portable receivers, but not small enough to mount on a DSLR. The Lectro LR looks nice, it's about the size of a portable G3, a little flatter maybe. No recording transmitters though, at least until a loophole is found for the Zax recording-transmitter patent.
Now, I got all hooked on Zaxcom but they don't have a receiver I need :(. Crazy question, can their transmitter work with another brand receiver?
Old October 9th, 2017, 07:52 AM   #12
Inner Circle

" can their transmitter work with another brand receiver?"
- in this case, I would not think so.
However, some of the analog systems can be (tuned to the same freq), if the pilot tones and companders are disabled. For instance, I've used Comtek and ListenTech IFBs together, i.e. Comtec Tx with multiple Comtek and ListenTech Rx.
Old October 9th, 2017, 08:17 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Kathy,

I would highly recommend the L- Series from Lectrosonic. I have a set, and have also had their SR dual receiver, and SMqv transmitters. The L Series is in my opinion easier to use and has not failed me. You should use a quality mic like the Sanken COS 11d.

If you have any specific questions let me know and I will be happy to help.
Old October 9th, 2017, 09:43 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
" can their transmitter work with another brand receiver?"
- in this case, I would not think so.
However, some of the analog systems can be (tuned to the same freq), if the pilot tones and companders are disabled. For instance, I've used Comtek and ListenTech IFBs together, i.e. Comtec Tx with multiple Comtek and ListenTech Rx.
OK, ohh well, maybe I'll go to the AES show and see what's out there.
Old October 9th, 2017, 09:46 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cronin View Post
Kathy,

I would highly recommend the L- Series from Lectrosonic. I have a set, and have also had their SR dual receiver, and SMqv transmitters. The L Series is in my opinion easier to use and has not failed me. You should use a quality mic like the Sanken COS 11d.

If you have any specific questions let me know and I will be happy to help.
I do have Sanken COS-11D and I'm actually thinking of upgrading perhaps to one of the DPA D:screet microphones. Not sure if it makes sense as I'm recording straight to the camera so not sure if having a "better" mic will make any difference.
Kathy Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio