Monitoring headphones at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 21st, 2017, 10:16 AM   #1
Major Player

Monitoring headphones

Hi,

I'm using Sennheiser 380 Pro and they are fine for editing at at my workstation. I'd like to get headphones that I can take into a field with me to monitor sound when I'm recording an interview. I know I can use the same headphones but I know there are monitoring earbuds. I'm trying to downsize on gear I need to carry with me. Would earbuds be adequate? If so which ones?

Also, what are the best monitoring headphones if I wanted to upgrade my 380 Pros?

Last edited by Kathy Smith; October 22nd, 2017 at 04:42 AM.
Kathy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2017, 01:03 AM   #2
Old Boot

Re: Monitoring headphones

Kathy, when you find out, do tell me!

I’ve got the 380s and they are spectacular for studio and field work. Can one ever get closed-back earbuds? Or rather some atypical earbuddies that reduce ambient? Often you can see me in a noisy environment crouched down with my hands clasped down over my 380s. Can I rely on earbuddies capable of doing this? Noise cancelling by earbuddies? Seems like a contradiction. But, always willing to learn.
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2017, 02:28 AM   #3
Equal Opportunity Offender

Kathy, my first thought is that you will get either feedback or bleed from the speakers back in to your microphones ... which is not a good thing.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2017, 03:13 AM   #4
Old Boot

Yes, of course! I should’ve listed that too.
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2017, 04:46 AM   #5
Major Player

I just realized that I wrote "speakers" where I meant "headphones". Sorry about that! I corrected the original post.
I would have never thought of using earbuds for monitoring sound until I saw these: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...2855/KBID/3801
and it got me curious.
Old October 22nd, 2017, 05:27 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Shure Se215s are quite useful sounding and the supplied soft foams isolate pretty well.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2017, 06:38 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson View Post
Shure Se215s are quite useful sounding and the supplied soft foams isolate pretty well.
Thank you!
Old October 22nd, 2017, 07:01 AM   #8
Equal Opportunity Offender

Speakers ... headphones ... whatever .... :-D

LOL

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2017, 10:02 AM   #9
Trustee

I have Sennheiser 280s and a a pair of Shure buds (not sure of model #) I paid almost $200.00 probably 10 years ago.

I consider the Shure buds very "handy" they have a place. Even with expensive buds I don't think you can get sound quality good enough to make critical decisions on set. Its just not possible to build them that way...IMHO. So I would stay away from those $400.00 ATs. I think high end gear like that is made for kids with too much money to burn and audiophiles. Not field monitoring.

I do use my buds a lot because I am a monitor sound at all times guy. I use the Sen 280s first during set up and testing then switch to the Shures IF it is a gig were the 280s are a pain like when I have to talk and listen to people a lot. I also use them a lot if I am at a control table and on COM. They are much better than cans any time you can use just one ear. I think just about any quality ear bud will work then because your not monitoring for true quality at that point, your listening for trouble.

So I would say stick with your 380s whenever you can and get the Sures Paul recommended. Stay away from spending more. There is no benefit from it.

Kind Regards,

Steve

PS The speaker thing put my brain into a feedback loop ;-)

Last edited by Steven Digges; October 23rd, 2017 at 06:37 AM.
Steven Digges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2017, 11:11 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Smith View Post
Hi,

I'm using Sennheiser 380 Pro and they are fine for editing at at my workstation. I'd like to get headphones that I can take into a field with me to monitor sound when I'm recording an interview. I know I can use the same headphones but I know there are monitoring earbuds. I'm trying to downsize on gear I need to carry with me. Would earbuds be adequate? If so which ones?

Also, what are the best monitoring headphones if I wanted to upgrade my 380 Pros?
Hi Kathy,

Several years ago, at AES 2015 in NYC, Shure showed a line of ear buds from $99 to $999. I haven't had time to wade through them, but I'm guessing one of them might help.
Here's a link. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/I...2855&KBID=3801

For location audio headphones, I've always used. Sony MDR 7506.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...2855&KBID=3801

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2017, 03:50 AM   #11
Regular Crew

I use these Sony MDR-V150 alot for sound mixing for live and on my Roland video mixer. I also use them when filming out and about. I can say they take some battering as they have been shoved in to any bag that I had out and about with a but of room in.

The overall size I like and I have a pair of sennheiser headphones and I was not happy with them for the price of them compaired to the Sony ones I use.

Here is the sony one on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-V150...U9/dvinfo09-20
Tony McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2017, 07:27 AM   #12
Slash Rules!

The standyby for many location sound folks is the Sony 7506. Not as isolate-y as the 380s but thousands of sound pros cant be wrong
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2017, 08:04 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Smith View Post
Hi,

Many location sound people that I know use custom molded in ear monitors. They range from $200 to $2000. The manufacturer supplies you with molding material that you put in your ears. You send that in and they make an ear piece that fits perfectly into your ear. These provide far more isolation than most earphones can.
Here's a link to a list of various brands. There are more than are even listed here.
Custom in-ear monitors reviews list | The Headphone List
These are made near Minneapolis (near me) and I know several people that use them and like them a lot. Not sure which model. They do have a good quality to price value. https://alclair.com/monitorshop/tour/
Bernie Beaudry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2017, 01:17 PM   #14
Inner Circle

There are two headphones that I've seen in general use - I have both. Either is about $100 or a bit less on sale.

Sony MDR-7506 - the dialog standard. These have a slight boost in the freqs important for dialog, which makes it easy to hear pops and other mishaps of the voice. You'll still hear low and high freq noise. You can mix two voice mics to one recording channel with some confidence. Moderate isolation.

Sennheiser HD280 - the music standard. These are pretty flat in their response, important in recording music, especially if you have to mix 2 or more mics to one record channel. Very good isolation. These are big phones.

The OP's HD380 is the same drivers as the 280, but more foldable/compact, and, I think a little less isolation.

I grew up on the Sonys, but discovered the Senns for music. Both are great. And, yes, with care, you can use the Senns for dialog and the Sonys for music.

The OP also wrote about using the HD380 at her desk. This is fine for all kinds of editing. Final compression, EQ, and mixing *must* be done on speakers, preferably on reference monitors. Even the best headphone can't represent the listening experience on speakers.
Old October 23rd, 2017, 11:26 PM   #15
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum View Post
Even the best headphone can't represent the listening experience on speakers.
Seth, totally agree. I use my HD280s to ensure I’ve correctly captured enough latitude of what I want/need to take forward. I kinda regard that my monitoring of the Audio-in is the same as my Focus and WB and Histograms and ALL levels. Meaning, I need to have the best values I can reasonably expect. That, and getting the Source verbals as near as I can to the mics! Back at base, my Edirols take over. On which I can then listen critically via an old pair of Senni 270s. I just replaced the Ear cushions on these. Nasty business.
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio