DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Which Rycote Invistion shockmount for Schoeps MK41? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/535021-rycote-invistion-shockmount-schoeps-mk41.html)

Marco Leavitt November 29th, 2017 10:17 PM

Which Rycote Invistion shockmount for Schoeps MK41?

I’m looking for a new shockmount for documentary work using a Schoeps CMC6 MK41. I was looking at the INV-7, but then there’s also the INV-HG mkIII. What about the INV-6? I had no idea there were so many. There are different lyres too apparently. Which ones should I get? The Rycote Web site is no help at all. Planning to use it with a B-5D windscreen for now. May add a basket later. I’ve always rolled off the bass when using my PSC and AT shockmounts, and would love to not have to do that anymore, so I want the absolute best protection from low-end rumble. Thanks much for anyone who can help me!

Edit: just noticed “Invision” is spelled wrong in the subject. Sorry! Guess it was the auto-correct.

Jim Feeley November 30th, 2017 10:15 AM

Re: Which Rycote Invision shockmount for Schoeps MK41?

There's a "search by microphone" feature on Rycote that I find pretty useful:
Rycote

But with my CMC Scheops mics, I use a "standard" INV-7. With a B5-D teardrop windscreen and a Cut-1, it works great on interiors, even with quick moves.

Some people seem to pref stronger Lyre hoops, but not me. The standard ones are fine for me. I think the HG version might be helpful if you have a heavy ball gag or something.

Also, I don't own but have demoed Cinela mounts. Really do seem nicer than Rycotes Invision. The OSIX 2 is the right model for Schoeps CMC mics...At least, I think it is. Costs about US$250.
Cinela - Catalog - OSIX 2: Suspension dedicated for Schoeps CMC (without CUT1 nor GVC)

Perhaps others here have different suggestions. I'd be happy to read them.

Hope this helps a bit!

Marco Leavitt December 2nd, 2017 11:59 AM

Re: Which Rycote Invistion shockmount for Schoeps MK41?

Thanks. Just the information I was looking for. The Rycote site doesn't seem to have compatibility information for the CMC6 series, although it is pictured in a few product shots. It does recommend products for the CCM series and of course the Schoeps shotguns. Makes me wonder how many people are still using the venerable CMC6 MK41 combo.

Jim Feeley December 3rd, 2017 04:42 PM

> The Rycote site doesn't seem to have compatibility information for the CMC6 series

If you click the Rycote link in my post, you're given a page on which you can find links to subpages products Rycote thinks are compatible with various Schoeps mic lines. Here's a direct link to the CMC page:
Rycote

CMC 4, 5, 6 preamps are the same in terms of dimension and weight-wise. At least, they are close enough for choosing shock mounts. So Rycote just needs one page for all CMC stuff, I think.

> Makes me wonder how many people are still using the venerable CMC6 MK41 combo.
Some people are still using earlier pre-amps, like a CMC5 or a CMC4 upgraded to work with 48v phantom power. But a CMC preamp with a MK41 capsule is still a super common mic for interior dialog, at least in my circles.

Yes, some mixers use Sennheiser MKH40 or MKH50 and a few are adding DPA... But I don't think Schoeps market share in high-end production mics (i.e.- not counting inexpensive mics like Rode, etc) has really shrunk. Or so it seems to me...

Marco Leavitt December 3rd, 2017 05:52 PM

Thanks. I didn't find that in my searching, so that's very useful.

Jim Feeley December 3rd, 2017 09:06 PM

Ya, the link is pretty hidden. The Rycote website has LOTS of good information, but navigation and search isn't its strongpoint....