Noise Help - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 24th, 2018, 10:42 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Noise Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Nantz View Post
In FCP X there is an option in audio to emphasize voice and that will generally make a noticeable improvement.

Having said that, it obviously won't make up for poorly acquired audio. But on the good side, all is not wasted because the takes can show what to (and not to) do the next time.

Link to video about TRS vs TRRS connectors for iPhone: How to Use an External Mic or Microphone on Your iPhone or iPad - YouTube He also says to NOT use a battery powered mic.

As an aside, the RØDE VXLR Mini Jack to XLR Adaptor instructions say "Not designed for use with phantom power and could possibly harm the recorder.", and I suspect this is also true with one's cam or smart phone. The outside of the adapter doesn't have any warning and, frankly, it looks kinda like anything else in one's kit.
I missed your post. I’m only now considering and testing inexpensive audio options to provide clients who want to film with their smart phone.

That adapter in the video is better than the one I was considering because it provides the ability to monitor the recording. Although the Newer mic doesn’t seem good both audio quality and that 3/4 of the mics didn’t work with the iphone. This could have more to do with the iphone conserving battery life by using as little power as necessary to power a mic. That also brings up the question would adding a cable extension to get the phone far enough away from the subject also cause mics not to work.

Btw, I don’t think the xlr adapter in itself would damage the phone but it increases the risk by giving you the opportunity to plug into pro equipment like a mixer sending line level or phantom power or a battery powered mic, all of which could damage your phone.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2018, 11:33 PM   #17
Inner Circle

I’ve run several workshops with the lav I listed above - it’s been reliable.

A 6’ extension like this is good with them:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008DWGLLO/dvinfo09-20

That’s about as short as works. There’s also a 20’ extension, which is more that needed, mostly:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X85S7EA/dvinfo09-20

I recommend not going crazy with volunteers using cell phones. Headphones are too complicated. If you can get them to turn the phone horizontally, hold it steady, lock exposure and focus, and use a lav you’ll really improve quality substantially. This is smartphone filmmaking, it’s important to recognize that the standards and expected quality are very low by pro standards.

To get the most quality out of smartphones, I *highly* recommend the app Filmic Pro, available for iOS and Android. But it’s really more for someone who has at least intermediate shooting skills on a dSLR for video, or on a camcorder.

The next step from there is a holder that can be used on a mini tabletop or full-sized tripod...

Note that iPhone 7 and later don’t have a headphone/microphone jack. But, they do come with a converter that allows use of the mics.
Old March 1st, 2018, 08:16 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
Yes, wow you nailed it on that last one.

Btw I tried one of my TRS lav mic with my phone didn’t work. Obviously it needs the extra 4th ring. Do they make an adapter?

edit: answered my own question
SC4 3.5mm TRS to TRRS Adaptor

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1048151-REG/BI/2855/KBID/3801
Pete did you receive my email?
Bernie Beaudry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2018, 10:06 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Beaudry View Post
Pete did you receive my email?
I didn’t know until you said something. I forgot I have my dvinfo contact set to my secondary email that I check infrequently.

I didn’t follow up with you when saw how expensive isotope rx6, in addition to your time and expertise, it wouldn’t be right to expect you would do it for free. This is for a non profit that I’ve already put in way to much time for what I quoted. I’ll ask if they’re willing to pay extra for this service but it’s unlikely due to their budget . If they won’t, please don’t take it as a sign of disrespect.

Last edited by Pete Cofrancesco; March 1st, 2018 at 01:12 PM.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2018, 03:51 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
I didn’t know until you said something. I forgot I have my dvinfo contact set to my secondary email that I check infrequently.

I didn’t follow up with you when saw how expensive isotope rx6, in addition to your time and expertise, it wouldn’t be right to expect you would do it for free. This is for a non profit that I’ve already put in way to much time for what I quoted. I’ll ask if they’re willing to pay extra for this service but it’s unlikely due to their budget . If they won’t, please don’t take it as a sign of disrespect.
I totally understand. It was a good exercise for me and if they come up with some money wonderful. If not I learned some more RX6 techniques and that's worth something to me too.
Bernie Beaudry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio