Noise Help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 22nd, 2018, 09:27 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Noise Help

I’m doing a project where the client is interviewing people with their phones and I’m editing it together (for budget and logistical reasons). Unfortunately the audio needs to be greatly amplified and a few interviews there is what sounds like wireless type intermittent noise.

The client asked if there is anything I could do which I said its out of my ability but I’d ask around. I was hoping someone here could take a quick look at it maybe someone has noise reduction effect. Not expecting miracles just an improvement.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/glnhfjb1ty...Clare.mp3?dl=1
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2018, 10:12 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Noise Help

Tell them to put the phone in airplane mode during interviews!

And maybe all phones in the room should be in airplane mode, but deff the one doing the recording.

Edit:
OK, now I’ve listened to the clip. Suggest they get the phone way closer to the person speaking. There are $15 lavs that work with smartphones like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Movo-PM10-Omn...ne+clip+on+mic

I’ve had experience with these (I teach an iPhone/iPad personal filmmaking workshop). IMHO they are step one to getting decent quality.
Old February 22nd, 2018, 10:36 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks for the mic suggestion. This is the first time I’ve done a film your own type video. I didn’t anticipate how they were going to film them until I got the lot of videos including filming in portrait view. I did give them closer suggestion for any additional videos.
Old February 22nd, 2018, 12:12 PM   #4
Trustee

In FCP X there is an option in audio to emphasize voice and that will generally make a noticeable improvement.

Having said that, it obviously won't make up for poorly acquired audio. But on the good side, all is not wasted because the takes can show what to (and not to) do the next time.

Link to video about TRS vs TRRS connectors for iPhone:
He also says to NOT use a battery powered mic.

As an aside, the RØDE VXLR Mini Jack to XLR Adaptor instructions say "Not designed for use with phantom power and could possibly harm the recorder.", and I suspect this is also true with one's cam or smart phone. The outside of the adapter doesn't have any warning and, frankly, it looks kinda like anything else in one's kit.
Attached Images

Last edited by John Nantz; February 22nd, 2018 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Edit: Add youTube video
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2018, 10:59 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
I’m doing a project where the client is interviewing people with their phones and I’m editing it together (for budget and logistical reasons). Unfortunately the audio needs to be greatly amplified and a few interviews there is what sounds like wireless type intermittent noise.

The client asked if there is anything I could do which I said its out of my ability but I’d ask around. I was hoping someone here could take a quick look at it maybe someone has noise reduction effect. Not expecting miracles just an improvement.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/glnhfjb1ty...Clare.mp3?dl=1
Pete I did a quick test with Izotope RX6 Advanced. This is just addressing the background hiss and those noise ups that you describe as wireless type intermittent noise. If it was a higher bit rate i.e.: WAV instead of MP3 the results could be even better.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wqhqhd5i1x..._test.mp3?dl=0
Bernie Beaudry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2018, 12:37 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Thanks for your help Bernie. I’ll download and listen to it when I get home today. A colleague and I played around in Adobe Audition. It had more advance tools than I’m used to but the end result were mixed. Reducing the noise works but it makes the voice more muddied and less natural. Difficult to decide whether the modification was better.
Old February 23rd, 2018, 01:25 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I'll be interested to hear what you think.
Old February 23rd, 2018, 06:03 PM   #8
Inner Circle

It did a good job cleaning the sections where wifi noise isn’t present
Old February 23rd, 2018, 09:37 PM   #9
Regular Crew

what was the wi fi noise? There is a high pitched whine that was in there periodically. That's easy to deal with. There are moments of intense hiss in between moments of fairly good audio, is that what you're talking about? If so, the chunk I worked on had some of that and I got it out.
I didn't listen thru the whole thing I just grabbed a short piece to work on.
Old February 24th, 2018, 07:09 AM   #10
Inner Circle

I had to inrease the gain 24db to the original because the subject was too far away. At that level you can hear the phone’s wireless activity cutting in and out. I appreciate your help but I think it’s as good as it is going to get.
Old February 24th, 2018, 08:17 AM   #11
Regular Crew

I'm confused.
The test I posted eliminates most of the back ground noise and on my meters its peaking at about -12. Slightly low. I applied 7db of gain to get it to peak between -6 and -9 which is where dialogue should be. At that point a bit of the noise comes back but its really low and can easily be attenuated but is still a huge improvement to the original. Are up saying that you increased the gain of the original file 24db to get it to where it is now? Looking at your original MP3 its peaking at -6 to -9 so its right where it should be. If you had to boost my test audio 24db then something is wrong.
I guess I don't know what you're looking for here. You asked to see if it could be improved and you didn't expect miracles. I think I clearly demonstrated that most of the noise could be eliminated without severe artifacts. Given a bit of time and a higher bit rate file this file can be cleaned up fairly well. It will still have that roomy sound because of acoustics and how it was miked but far less annoying than those bursts of loud hiss.
Old February 24th, 2018, 10:22 AM   #12
Regular Crew

And here is a different version that I think works pretty well

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hhdjm8o96e...test2.mp3?dl=0
Old February 24th, 2018, 01:20 PM   #13
Inner Circle

The file I posted was after I added 24db gain. I’m more concerned with reducing the noise in loud parts so its more consistent. I don’t mean to sound unappreciative.
Old February 24th, 2018, 03:57 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
The file I posted was after I added 24db gain. I’m more concerned with reducing the noise in loud parts so its more consistent. I don’t mean to sound unappreciative.
So you're saying you don't need it as clean as I got it, but need a consistent background? Is this what you're mean?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hpgk7shxtz...test3.mp3?dl=0
Old February 24th, 2018, 04:29 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Yes, wow you nailed it on that last one.

Btw I tried one of my TRS lav mic with my phone didn’t work. Obviously it needs the extra 4th ring. Do they make an adapter?

edit: answered my own question
SC4 3.5mm TRS to TRRS Adaptor

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1048151-REG/BI/2855/KBID/3801

Last edited by Pete Cofrancesco; February 24th, 2018 at 05:00 PM.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio