New Sound Devices MixPre-10M OYE! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 7th, 2018, 12:34 PM   #1
Major Player

New Sound Devices MixPre-10M OYE!

Oh man. I think I want one. While I love my 633, it might be a bit overkill for what I do, simple interviews for my paid video projects. I have not needed timecode for what I do. Always dual-system, scratch track used to sync audio from 633.

Being a musician, this could be the best of of all worlds, and it would certainly get more use than my 633 which I pull out for assignment. Plus the 10M works as a USB interface!!!

I just wonder how good the pre-amps are compared to the 633. But being SD, they are probably better than I deserve.

https://www.sounddevices.com/product...ers/mixpre-10m
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2018, 03:16 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: New Sound Devices MixPre-10M OYE!

Why not timecode? So simple to do, and so very affordable as well!

The lack of timecode made it is an automatic avoid for me personally. Still, has interesting enough I blogged about it:

Sound Devices MixPre10M announced (a MixPre10T without the “T”, for Musicians) – David Peterson

Wasn't the only recorder news today either, although the other one is a big outside my budget:

Zaxcom DEVA 24 & MIX-16 are now finally officially shipping – David Peterson

Oh well, got to keep on waiting.....
Old March 13th, 2018, 01:55 PM   #3
DVCreators.Net

Impressed with the MixPre-10T. For $99 you can add the "M" features. In the "M" the physical timecode BNCs are gone and it makes it $300 cheaper for musicians that would likely never use TC.

I do like 633 routing and full size XLR outputs, but the lightweight of the MixPre-10 is super appealing for most gigs and having the TA3F to be able to go out to full size XLRs is easy enough. The pres sound clean and the touchscreen is snappy. Powering via Sony style DV batteries with the Hawk-Woods adapter makes good use of existing kit if you have pre existing chargers etc. Super nice package considering that a Sound Devices 702T was $2700 a few years ago and now $1499 for the "M" or $1799 for the "T" gets you money left over to get some other cool gear.

Here is a video I just did to show the size, features and sound quality of the Schoeps MiniCMIT into the MixPre-10T

I think we're living in some awesome times in the audio world compared to just a few years ago. The whole DSLR/YouTube revolution has brought out some stunning price points compared to when this forum first started.
Old March 15th, 2018, 01:24 AM   #4
Trustee

Thanks for the review video Guy. I'm really tempted to sell my SD 522 and Tascam DR-690 and pick up a MixPre-10T. I think it would be a relief to my back.
Old March 15th, 2018, 10:51 AM   #5
Major Player

Guy,

Thanks so much for that video! Very helpful.

Best to you.

Jonathan
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2018, 12:40 PM   #6
DVCreators.Net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Levin View Post
Guy,

Thanks so much for that video! Very helpful.

Best to you.

Jonathan
You're more than welcome. Hope that it helped!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Low View Post
Thanks for the review video Guy. I'm really tempted to sell my SD 522 and Tascam DR-690 and pick up a MixPre-10T. I think it would be a relief to my back.
Hi Garrett!

Sound Devices 552
4 lbs 6 oz.

Sound Devices MixPre-10T
2 lbs

That is pretty substantial! Less than half depending on how you power the 552, possibly even more depending on power. The 552 and the newer 6 series Sound Devices gear is built like a tank, really meant to be out in harsh environments. The newer MixPre line seems to be built with more lightweight parts. I'm digging it for the kind of stuff I do, mostly all indoor. 552 is still great for out in the field.
Old March 25th, 2018, 03:03 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Low View Post
Sound Devices 552 / Tascam DR680 was my normal set up before I got the Zoom F4.

No regrets, the Zoom F4 is a massive massive leap forward over the previous set up (lighter too!).

And now the the Sound Devices 552 usually just stays at home.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio