NAB 2018 sneak peak: Zoom F8n - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 1st, 2018, 07:21 AM   #31
Wrangler

Re: NAB 2018 sneak peak: Zoom F8n

I agree, it really is remarkable that Zoom did this. Personally, I saw no reason to get the F8n instead of the F8 before this upgrade, but now it's really a no-brainer (unless you really need one of the few new features). And to add insult to injury for new F8n owners.... according to that chart the F8 has about 30% longer battery run time. That's remarkable.

Kudos to Zoom! But I've never been the first kid on the block to install major software upgrades. I will be waiting for awhile, there's not much in the upgrade that I need anyway. Congratulations on the new F8 and let us know how the new firmware works. Would be especially interested to know if they have fixed the bug with the high pass filter that I described in post #6 above.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2018, 07:05 AM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Digges View Post
I have been trying NOT to buy a Zoom F8. But Zoom just made a move that forced me to order a F8.

The V5 firmware for the Zoom F8 is mind blowing because I have never seen a company do this before. It basically makes the original F8 on par with the newly released F8N. Here is a link to Zoom's own comparison chart between the F8 and F8n:

https://www.zoom.co.jp/sites/default...risonChart.pdf

I buy almost all of my gear new from B&H, I am not a wheeler and dealer. But yesterday I found a brand new discontinued Zoom F8 on E-bay from a US authorized Zoom dealer for $700.00. If all goes well (I am a sceptic) once I install the firmware update, I just bought what is practically a new F8n for seven hundred bucks. I know my scenario is not what Zoom intended but my hat is off to them for providing such great support to those that have already invested in their product. Can you imagine how nice it would be for us all if other manufacturers did their best to upgrade existing products to the level of new releases? I have never seen this before. I just got lucky and found one at a discontinued price. You guys that already own a F8 must be thrilled.

If you see a hole in my F8 with the new V5 firmware upgrade plan for $700.00 let me know, there is a few small differences but it is not much. I will let you know if it all works when I have it in hand.

Note: I was holding out for a SD Mix Pre 10. But I don't really need 8 or 10 channels because by the time I get to that many inputs I insist the client allow me to bring on my sound guy. And my sound guys all have SD kit. Balanced outputs are a big priority for me and the MixPre 10 is the only MixPre that has them. The SD MixPre 10t is $1,700.00. I wholeheartedly believe in dedicated sound operators. And I will say having a F8 will never influence me away from having a sound guy whenever possible.

Kind Regards,

Steve
I saw brand new F8 recorders go for as low as $629 as they were clearing stock before the F8n arrived.

Shockingly cheap.

And now the v5.0 is out the F8 is very very very close to the F8n. Almost disappointingly so for F8n owners for myself! ha

I could have just saved a big bundle of cash and got the F8 secondhand for almost the same as what I paid back for my F4.

As for the Sound Devices MixPre10T? Well I'll give you first of all my thoughts on the other MixPres (as someone who primarily works just as a sound recordist for film/tv/web):

A Sound Devices MixPre3 or MixPre6 would just be a big compromise or set back from what I was using before of a Zoom F4, I would *always* prefer the Zoom F4 instead. (plus of course the Zoom F4 came out earlier, when I purchased the F4 just after it was announced, the MixPre series of recorders didn't even exist yet)

But as for the MixPre10T? Hmmm.... trickier, I "think" I'd prefer the MixPre10T over my Zoom F4 but I'm not 110% sure. I'd have to use the MixPre10T for a month to get a firmer opinion (I suspect probably yes?). But the fact I'm so uncertain, even though one of these costs around FOUR TIMES as much, makes it very clear which one is the better value purchase!

Now as for the MixPre10T vs Zoom F8n? Now the decision has become easier again, I'll take the F8n!

It really isn't fair to Zoom or the MixPre series to compare them against each other, as you should be comparing Zoom's F series against Sound Device's 6 series instead! (or against a Zaxcom Maxx/Nomad)

(the MixPre10T is an exception in the MixPre series, being head and shoulders above the rest, but still falling far short against the 6 series from SD: https://www.gothamsound.com/sound-de...mparison-chart )
Old August 2nd, 2018, 07:09 AM   #33
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff View Post
I agree, it really is remarkable that Zoom did this. Personally, I saw no reason to get the F8n instead of the F8 before this upgrade, but now it's really a no-brainer (unless you really need one of the few new features). And to add insult to injury for new F8n owners.... according to that chart the F8 has about 30% longer battery run time. That's remarkable.

Kudos to Zoom! But I've never been the first kid on the block to install major software upgrades. I will be waiting for awhile, there's not much in the upgrade that I need anyway. Congratulations on the new F8 and let us know how the new firmware works. Would be especially interested to know if they have fixed the bug with the high pass filter that I described in post #6 above.
I have my fingers crossed that the F8n is more power hungry because it has a more powerful processor in it? That will get its power unleashed in a future firmware update that will unlock its full potential? One can dream!

As for your question back at post #6, it would be nice to see it fixed but they're neglecting their app, and it isn't a hugely big deal for me as I'm quite happy to just leave it at 80Hz all the time as a pretty sensible figure.
Old August 2nd, 2018, 07:39 AM   #34
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Peterson View Post
it isn't a hugely big deal for me as I'm quite happy to just leave it at 80Hz all the time as a pretty sensible figure.
Well "sensible" is pretty subjective. If you're recording music and just want to elimate low frequency "thumps" from wind gusts or vibrations transmitted to a microphone from the floor, it's a shame to lose that much of the low end when you really just want to get rid of the very low frequencies. So I just don't use the HPF and remove those low frequencies in Logic or Final Cut, but it would be nice to be able to do it on the recorder.
Old August 6th, 2018, 09:41 PM   #35
Trustee

Gentlemen,

I am happy to report I am thrilled so far with my new purchase. The F8 arrived Friday, it is new in box with a US serial number as it should be. I have not had much time to ring it out but this is where I am at.

I fed it 8 sources, Both dynamic and condenser mics. Gain staged it and ran basic tests to be sure it worked out of the box, it did.

Upgraded firmware from version 2.1 to 5.0 to make it basically on par with the F8N. I have a learning curve ahead of me with a new UI on a new device so I saw no reason to be cautious with the upgrade and then relearn changes to the UI so I went for it. All seems well so far, but I am not deep into all it will do yet.

I bought this thing primarily for one big reason, I wanted good preamps. Every Sound Engineer I have ever hired is almost exclusively Sound Devices, as I expect them to be. I know those guys, a few of them I know will still scoff at anything with a Zoom label on it. I am not going to say the F8 preAmps are as good as good as SD, they are probably not. BUT, even on first impressions it is obvious that these preamps have moved forward leaps and bounds in bridging the wide gap between consumer and professional preamps. I was very sceptical. Now I am happy with a major improvement to my kit. And this time it just happened to work out that I got a smoking deal on it in the process. I will let you know if something jumps up. But for now I am just one more guy saying Zomm put out a great product at a reasonable price that is changing the market.

Boyd, The HPF bug you mentioned in post #6 seems to be fixed. I loaded the F8 control app on my I-Pad today. The HPF filter goes from 10Hz to 240Hz and holds. It is V2.1.0. I love the app. How nice to have a big control surface if your not in a bag, or I have a gig coming up where my boom op will have it in a bag and I will be monitoring everything he does on the app. How cool is that!

Kind Regards,

Steve
Old August 7th, 2018, 05:45 AM   #36
Wrangler

Hey - thanks for checking out the HPF bug - that is great news. I also really like the F8 control app and it works well on both my iPhone and iPad. But as you get deeper into it, you will find a few frustrations since some basic things cannot be done in the app and you need to disconnect bluetooth from time to time for this.

But it's a great machine - Enjoy!
Old August 7th, 2018, 09:44 PM   #37
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Digges View Post
I bought this thing primarily for one big reason, I wanted good preamps. Every Sound Engineer I have ever hired is almost exclusively Sound Devices, as I expect them to be. I know those guys, a few of them I know will still scoff at anything with a Zoom label on it. I am not going to say the F8 preAmps are as good as good as SD, they are probably not. BUT, even on first impressions it is obvious that these preamps have moved forward leaps and bounds in bridging the wide gap between consumer and professional preamps. I was very sceptical. Now I am happy with a major improvement to my kit. And this time it just happened to work out that I got a smoking deal on it in the process. I will let you know if something jumps up. But for now I am just one more guy saying Zomm put out a great product at a reasonable price that is changing the market.
Actually the Zoom F series pre amps are indeed just as good as Sound Devices ones. To say otherwise is to split hairs, as even in A/B comparisons people can't accurately identify them, and in real world practical usage you'd have to be superhuman to tell them apart in post afterwards.

Also Sound Devices isn't universally thought of as "the best" either, plenty of people for instance will say Sonosax or Aaton pre amps sound better, and fair enough they might have a point too... ? But indeed, they're also getting to a point where they're splitting hairs way beyond any practical relevance for us.
Old August 8th, 2018, 09:36 AM   #38
Inner Circle

Much of it comes down to personal preference. I have been renting a 664 or 788, when track count exceeds my 744's capabilities. On my current equipment budget, the F8n has more of the features that I need than the MixPre10T, so I bought one yesterday. I'm sure I'll have a list of pros and cons in actual hands-on use.

Last edited by Rick Reineke; August 9th, 2018 at 08:51 AM.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2018, 09:09 PM   #39
Trustee

Rick, I would really appreciate hearing your thoughts on this device.

Steve
Old August 9th, 2018, 09:03 AM   #40
Inner Circle

"I would really appreciate hearing your thoughts on this device.
" Fo' sure Steve, I'm scheduled for a 15 day feature film shoot in about a week. As I understand, some of locations are tight, so I'll probably use the F8n in a bag, less weight/space.power than the 744/302 config
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2018, 07:43 PM   #41
Major Player

I've been using the new Zoom F8n for a few weeks now, and I'm nothing but very happy with it!

Feel like it was a better choice for me than a 633 or 664, and a 688 would have been unaffordable for me.

Old August 29th, 2018, 06:19 AM   #42
Major Player

A Zoom F8n sound cart at work on its first feature film for me with the F8n!

Old October 30th, 2018, 07:42 AM   #43
Major Player

Old December 29th, 2018, 11:40 PM   #44
Trustee

Hey Rick,

Now that you have had your Zoom in use for a while how are you getting along with it? I would like to hear your thoughts or suggestions?

I have been using mine and I am pleased with it. As I said before my main objective was to secure a device with quality preamps. I am pleased with that. The controls are small and it is tough to work out of a bag, but I knew that. Overall I am very pleased with it.

When the situation allows for it, the i-pad app is a great asset and helps compensate for the small hard surface controls on the face of the unit. The app also helps monitor levels and control it from a remote area when the boom op has it in the bag and his hands are full. That is awesome.

Bang for the buck this is the best investment I have made in years.

How do you like yours?

Kind Regards,

Steve
Old December 31st, 2018, 12:35 PM   #45
Inner Circle

"Hey Rick, Now that you have had your Zoom in use for a while how are you getting along with it? I would like to hear your thoughts or suggestions?"

- I have not used it much aside from some home tests. On the projects I had, I used my 744/302, since I did not need more than four tracks and I'm still more comfortable with that at this point.. I also had not made new cables for the BNC TC out or for feeding the IFBs from the mini-jack sub or TA3 main outs. Fortunately new power cables are not necessary. I also got a negative response from a client when I mentioned 'Zoom', (big mistake, the Zoom POS stigma lives on). I looking for a pre-owned 663 or 664 at this point and will probably sell the 744 and Zoom/
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio