NAB 2018 sneak peak: Zoom F8n - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 7th, 2019, 04:18 PM   #46
Regular Crew

Re: NAB 2018 sneak peak: Zoom F8n

The Zoom F8 must be pretty good as they used it in the latest Mission Impossible Fallout.
https://magazine.local695.com/magazi...rYzpnPOgv3LHeA
Mark Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2019, 10:43 AM   #47
Inner Circle

Re: NAB 2018 sneak peak: Zoom F8n

I've only used the F4 but I am impressed as heck with the F4, F8 and F8N. Unfortunately for me, they lack the HDMI TC input that the Mix Pres have for shooting with mirrorless cameras so I ended up with a Mix Pre-3 instead. I could have bought a Zoom but then I would have needed to have also dropped at least $600.00 for a pair of Tentacles or something comparable, negating the Zoom cost savings.

Neither of my cameras have BNC TC i/o (Fujifilm XT-3 and Canon C200) so the Mix Pre 3 was a better move for my needs. But I think the Zooms were a better deal and had much more comprehensive feature sets. If I was a sound mixer and couldn't afford the higher end SD recorders, the Zoom F8N would be my choice.
But yes, there definitely still is the Zoom stigma, especially here in LA. Too many DSLR users running the H4Ns for too many years. Saying you are using Sound Devices, even the cheap Mix Pre 3, usually gets a good nod from producers. I've used the Mix Pre 3 for one audio only recording gig at a big NBC TV show backstage and it worked really well for what we were recording, stand up interviews with a bunch of high profile bands and singers. The Kashmir pre-amps sound really nice. But the Zoom feature sets blow away the Mix Pre.
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio