Don't buy any audio from Mike. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 11th, 2018, 05:11 AM   #1
Major Player

Don't buy any audio from Mike.

Commonwealth Games: BBC Breakfast's Mike Bushell slips into pool mid-interview - BBC Sport
Old April 11th, 2018, 02:36 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Don't buy any audio from Mike.

I was amazed the audio carried on working.....and....he was still wearing the same shirt later on on pieces to camera! He did handle it well though.
Patrick Baldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2018, 09:13 PM   #3
Trustee

He handled it well. So did the camera op, he stayed on shot. I would like to hear what was said in his IFB before it went dead.

Steve
Old April 11th, 2018, 11:44 PM   #4
Major Player

OUCH! Painful to watch.

Should have been using the Aputure Deity ;-) And a Lectro WM series
Old April 13th, 2018, 05:33 AM   #5
Trustee

Will testify to Lectro durability. Some years back we were filming inside a Navy destroyer and were on one of the side top walkway / gantrys in the engine room when one of our Lectro plugins got dropped. We heard it clanging and bouncing down the inside of the steel hull only to be followed by a splash as it hit the bottom of the ship and dropped into the mess of bilge salt water, diesel, oil, and various other lovely fluids.

That's got to be lost I ventured. No that wasn't the case. About 20 minutes later a couple of junior sailors turned up with it having gone on a successful fishing expedition. I thanked them but was all the while thinking it was a waste of time as I thought there was no way the Lectro was going to suffer that massive drop and bilge soaking.

Well I took it back to base then stripped the TX down and dropped the PCB assembly into a cup of methylated spirits. Meth spirits being miscible absorbs water. After five minutes in the spirits I then hit the PCP assy with a hair dryer to evaporate the meth spirits. I then sprayed the PCB assy with some WD40 and then wiped off the excess WD.

Lo and behold it worked. I was so impressed I contacted Lectro in the States and recounted the tale. They posted the story up on their site. They said they weren't overly surprised as they built them to be rugged. The rep I spoke to said a couple of weeks prior someone had dropped one out of a news chopper as it took off. The TX dropped about 30 meters to the concrete chopper pad. He went on to say that the case was pretty badly damaged but the TX still worked.

That Lectro TX continued to work for years. It only went after the government changed all our wireless frequencies which made all our Lectros illegal to use. Great gear!

Chris Young
Christopher Young is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio