One mic for 3 camera shoot - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 3rd, 2006, 05:01 AM   #61
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo Durand
Steve,
I might be switching to 3 Panasonic DVX100's. I will go with one mic into an SDMM-1 into the one camera.
If I'm feeding the cam with one xlr cable, how can I get an "insurance track" like the GL2 with its stereo input?
Is there a such thing as a cable spitter (from 1 to 2 lines) to feed the DVX's XLR inputs? Thanks!
~Lorenzo
Sure - take a look at this page from Full Compass for some examples. A transformer splitter is far better than a simple Y cable.

http://www.fullcompass.com/category/...Combiners.html
Old November 11th, 2006, 10:10 PM   #62
Regular Crew

The equipment keeps evolving for the better with 2 weeks to go for the shoot.
Now it's upgraded from a Sound Devices MM-1 to a MixPre and the Rode NT-3 to a Audio Technica 4053a, Yeeess. The camera's are just two, a JVC GYHD100U and the Panasonic DVX100A shooting at hopefully 24p SD.

My question is now that it's 2 cams, should I run a line to both cams from the MixPre to have both cams synch'ed? Or would it be better to have both lines going to one cam for the insurance track?
Lorenzo Durand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2006, 10:48 AM   #63
Inner Circle

Fun,

If you can run the mixer in mono, and don't need splits (one mic on one channel, another mic on another) you could feed each camera with one of the MixPre's XLR outputs. some cameras will let you apply one audio input to both camera tracks. I think thee DVX 100 does.

If you need splits. (and you may if you have more than
one person speaking or are using boom and lav on one person) then you need split audio and using only one mixer output isn't enough.

If you do need splits, then consider the Sound Devices 442. It has TWO SEPARATE BALANCED,Mic/Line STEREO outputs, plus a third stereo output on mini XLR.

You can't send different splits to different outputs, you only get the same stereo mix to all three, but (with the 442) you can also take direct line level outputs from each of the four inputs to feed four other line level inputs. You could use them to feed two of the the other camera's line inputs.

Very Handy. I seldom use all of the 442 capabilities at once. It's heavier than a Sound Devices 302 or MixPre, but it's the most versatile and high quality bag mixer I know of. It does kick butt.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 02:21 AM   #64
Regular Crew

Thanks Ty,
I am only using the one mic going into the mixer, with one output going to each cam. So I might need the splitter. I'm going to check on your tip of the DVX splitting the signal. Back to work.
Old November 4th, 2007, 03:11 AM   #65
Regular Crew

Checking in with the "One mic on a three cam shoot" topic.

We shot rehearsals last winter using the AT4053a on a boom with the SD Mixpre into 2 HD cams.

We used a few sound blankets in most rooms. We implemented the tips on this blog from Steve and Ty. You guys help much with my sound training. I trained our soundman.

The results was better than I expected. In fact it was good. We edited a few scenes...very nice. The production is postponed until summer 2008. A script is being written. I am working on other films having fun.

Thanks, and see you later...
Old November 4th, 2007, 05:42 AM   #66
Inner Circle

Thanks for checking in Lorenzo. It's always nice to know how something turned out.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old November 11th, 2007, 06:40 PM   #67
Regular Crew

Your welcome Ty.
Old November 12th, 2007, 11:40 PM   #68
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo Durand View Post
Do you mean like a piece of cotton?... just joking, would padding be a special cable or device? Or is their a mixer with the price range of a MixPre that has mic/line switchable outputs? Thank you Steve.
You can order cables from Sound devices with built in resistors that knock the line level of the MixPre to mic level.

Regards,

Ty
Old November 19th, 2007, 11:27 PM   #69
Regular Crew

The JVC HD cameras have both line and mic level switches.
Would the mic level produce better sound.

We used the line level on the cams and the sound was good.
Lorenzo Durand is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio