DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   What level do you use when using headphones? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/535872-what-level-do-you-use-when-using-headphones.html)

Jonathan Levin May 11th, 2018 12:34 PM

What level do you use when using headphones?

Greetings.

This may be an odd question, and maybe it is more of a personal choice.

I have a SD 633. I monitor all audio through Sony MDR-7506 HP. The HP volume on the SD goes from OFF to 20dB.

I usually keep the HP level at about 0db, if for no other reason, unity is at 0. I know those two things are not related really, and that maybe this is just personal preference. All my PFL and such are set to get a nice output signal as I see on the meters. Is the HP volume just a personal thing? I've always had great success and terrific audio with the 633!

Thanks.

Jonathan

Rick Reineke May 12th, 2018 08:04 AM

Re: What level do you use when using headphones?

Unlike monitor volume for mixing (SPL), there's no 'standard' level. Adjust as needed and/or comfortable.

Jim Feeley May 12th, 2018 06:50 PM

I too use 7506 cans. I like them; a key advantage is that they seem, to me, to emphasize the noises I want to avoid getting onto my tracks: handling noise, wind, pops, etc. However, hearing those noises, and frankly the 7506 in general, can get a bit fatiguing.

So I watch my meters to make sure I'm getting the levels I want and need...and keep the 7506 volume as low as possible while still eliminating outside noise. Cause I like me ears and I want them to remain attentive towards the end of the day, on the next day, and into the future.

Does that all make sense?

Graham Bernard May 13th, 2018 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Feeley (Post 1944020)
I too use 7506 cans. I like them; a key advantage is that they seem, to me, to emphasize the noises I want to avoid getting onto my tracks: handling noise, wind, pops, etc. However, hearing those noises, and frankly the 7506 in general, can get a bit fatiguing.

Jim, you perfectly illustrate very clearly much of the reasoning behind wearing cans whilst Capturing. Focusing on what I don’t want to hear back at the Edit deck, I can’t ask for more. And to do that I need to be sure that Levels at the Ear should be both revealing and relevant. Your list of fatal kludges needs to attached to the camera! I’d like to also add just when Mics and Lavs are off axis/target and just how much ambient is seeping in especially reflected Door bangs and repetitive unwanted mush. Again, Can Levels need to be set to hear those. I have the Senni HD 280 Pro and they get physically hot after an hour of use. I’m guessing that’s a result of the excellent closed-back, over the ear design. Concentrating on the job in hand is fatiguing. Getting that sweet spot of audio can take time especially if you film in public and challenging sites I’ve had to: Building sites where I want the Talent to talk to camera.

Quote:

So I watch my meters to make sure I'm getting the levels I want and need...and keep the 7506 volume as low as possible while still eliminating outside noise. Cause I like me ears and I want them to remain attentive towards the end of the day, on the next day, and into the future.

Oh yes.

Quote:

Does that all make sense?

Totally.

I’ve just found the following Website which is stuffed with valuable ratings and graphs for HD and Monitors. I’m learning more as I read it: https://www.rtings.com/headphones/re...ser/hd-280-pro

Select your cans and settle in.

Soooo..... setting Can Levels should allow you/us to experience the whole Audio Scene surrounding the visual Image being recorded, allowing us to make intelligent decisions as to what HAS to be done to make things better. And yes, I do have Izotope RX Advanced.

Rick Reineke May 13th, 2018 09:33 AM

Addendum, I' use the 7506 as well (since 1990). I tried the HD 280 Pro, but they felt and sounded 'foreign'. after using the Sony's for so long. I also use the Garfield Softies, which are very comfortable in all climatic conditions,. though you sacrifice a little isolation. I want to try the Auray Genuine Sheepskin Leather Earpads. Does anyone use these?

Boyd Ostroff May 13th, 2018 10:19 AM

The original ear pads on my MDR-7506 headphones started falling apart after just a few years of very light usage. I replaced them with these, which are much nicer than the originals IMO. Soft velour covering feels a lot better than plastic. https://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/edt-250v.html

[edit]Looking at the Auray link that Rick posted, they also have a velour version that looks about the same as the Beyerdynamic ones.

Jim Feeley May 13th, 2018 01:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Reineke (Post 1944031)
I also use the Garfield Softies, which are very comfortable in all climatic conditions,. though you sacrifice a little isolation.

Good call! I use Garfield Softies too. They're basically some velour/loop covers for your headphones. Available in a couple sizes and several colors. They say "Warm when it's cool. Cool when it's warm." That's been my experience; none of that sweaty or chilly headphone feeling. Maybe a touch of isolation loss, but worth it, imo. Under $20US for a pair.

Also, they help overcome that peeling/shedding cover problem on Sony 7506 and some other headphones. And lets you add a little personalized flair to your audio kit. :-)

Here's a picture The Google found of some Garfield Softies on some headphones.

Jonathan Levin May 13th, 2018 01:43 PM

Really interesting guys!!! Thanks for your comments. On the633 I keep the can level at 0db and with proper pfl and fade set it still seems a bit on the loud side, but I can hear everything.

David Peterson May 15th, 2018 09:22 PM

I get a bit disturbed from hearing about some people who's ears hurt/tired/ringing at the end of a long day :-/ And even experienced that myself now and then :-/

So I try to and keep my monitoring volumes to err on the low side, I'd rather miss a tiny detail here and there than run it too loud and have my hearing diminished a couple of decades down the road.