getting reverb out. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 8th, 2018, 08:12 PM   #1
Major Player

getting reverb out.

i have a speech that has reverb
it was shot outside and client wants removed. are there any good free softwares that will get it out>
really dont want to buy something for this one deal
Ive had no luck finding anything
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2018, 08:24 PM   #2
Equal Opportunity Offender

Re: getting reverb out.

Upload the original .wav file and post a link here.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2018, 11:39 PM   #3
Old Boot

Yeah, let me loose on it with DReverb Izotope RX 6 Advanced and I’ll have a go. I make no promises as to the efficacy.

In the meantime, not a freebie, but I’ve got several of Acion Digital Plugs, and I like is one I don’t have is DeVerberate from Acion Digital: https://acondigital.com/products/deverberate/

One tip: After a DeReveb session I like to fill any dead space with some either live ambient or post captured ambient. I have some Stock ambient sounds that might just fill-in too.

So, as I said, post a sample and I’d enjoy having a go to help a DVINFO colleague.
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2018, 06:53 AM   #4
Wrangler

I have used the DeVerb Plus plug-in with some footage of an opera rehearsal that was filmed with an on-camera mic in a rehearsal hall with lots of reverberation. It didn't exactly work magic but definitely helped. It has a two week free trial which should be enough for your project. It worked fine in Logic Pro but caused some crashes in Final Cut Pro. Has been about a year since I used it. It's worth a try.

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/p...verb_plus.html
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2018, 02:38 PM   #5
Major Player

heres the file. ingnore the sync issue, its doing that in vimeo, not sure why but its totally fine on my timeline.

Old June 9th, 2018, 03:08 PM   #6
Old Boot

That's nasty.

I'm having a go now.
Old June 9th, 2018, 03:10 PM   #7
Major Player

thanks,
i had the demo of izotope, seemed to work pretty good, but no way to save so then i ran a cable from the headphone jack and tried recording via my mic input on my ax53.
oddly it didnt work although i heard it thru headphones on camera.
Old June 9th, 2018, 04:48 PM   #8
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stamos View Post
i had the demo of izotope, seemed to work pretty good, .
Really? I didn’t like it. OK, the problem isn’t that it’s Reverberation, it’s more that you’ve got a very clean Echo. An Echo that doesn’t trail off like Reverb does. I’ve since experimented with wave Inversion and playing the two Tracks together and use Track Compression to offset the Peaks and Troughs. A very old analogue process.

G
Old June 9th, 2018, 05:34 PM   #9
Major Player

Unfortunately it's fubar.

First of all the problem is not reverb the problem is echo, second the source is mono so there is no relative phase information do determine what is direct and what is indirect.
Cary Knoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2018, 12:14 AM   #10

Worse, the undesired echo audio is as prominent as the vocal audio you want to keep. Super difficult to fix, nay impossible. Clock it up as "hey, that's how the room sounded" and that's about it.

Was this coming out of a PA mix or was it totally in-camera for the source of the audio?

Andrew
Old June 10th, 2018, 01:16 AM   #11
Old Boot

Fixed? No. Better? Well, maybe.

I did this in TWO processes:

A] Made a copy of Target Audio and placed as another track. Phase Inverted in VEGAS Pro and applied Track Compression. This has some of the effect of Noise Cancelling as a dissimilar audio now being a bit "different". Rendered both Tracks and then . . .

B] Opened A] in iZotope RX6 Adv and used DeReverb to attempt to cut the "Tails"of the Echo.

Pros: The most annoying Echo peaks have now been reduced somewhat to something approaching a naturally heard Public Address but still no coconut!

Cons: Further DeReverb makes more artifacts.

Overall, looking at the resultant Waveforms in iZo, I can actually observe the Echo Gain being reduced, which is a good thing.

My results attached. The nasty Echo has been a little reduced to something approaching an open-air address.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/attachme...1&d=1528614446

Grazie
Attached Files
File Type: wma deEcho Post Phase Invert Single DeReverb1a via Vegas.wma (922.2 KB, 187 views)
Old June 10th, 2018, 08:17 PM   #12
Major Player

So here's the deal I shoot this graduation every year it's always outside but where I have to get the audio from I have to use my wireless lectrosonics the audio is always clean every year where I get it from is directly in line with me but in a room this year they decided to move that audio setup into the cafeteria which is not in line with me but in a building with more obstruction so my particular audio was at Parts very good parts fading in and out with static the video you have was students shooting it with a live feed and I had to go to their website and convert that live feed link to an mp4 parts of theirs has the echo Parts doesn't it was in and it was out both they were complaining about my audio being good and bad so that's one I went to the school to get the live feed audio next year I'm just going to have to wire the two podiums directly myself and not use these guys because it totally messed me up this year I had no warning ahead of time and they couldn't run me a feed solid cable because it was already set up and by the time I found this out the graduation started
Old June 10th, 2018, 09:32 PM   #13

If they have thrust the work of students upon you and you have to use the quality of audio that is handed to you ... then all bets are off. What a mess. Alert the appropriate people that the audio quality is simply what was handed to you and leave it at that.

(I'm gleaning what I can from the world's longest sentence you typed.)

At least you have prior runs on the board with regards to delivering a professional quality product.

Andrew
Old June 10th, 2018, 10:54 PM   #14
Major Player

Ha
Yeah that was a pretty long sentence. I'm just trying to fix it for him the best I can because it's a huge account for me in that I shoot all of their school events throughout the year its major.
As I stated earlier I ran it through the demo of izotope
And it seem to do a good job but it wouldn't let me save it of course.
I'm trying to decide if I want to spend the four hundred bucks to buy that thing. I'm going to go talk to them first and see how they feel about this. I'm going to convince them we may just need to write this year off since I wasn't told that the audio guys were moving.
I really appreciate y'all trying to get this removed for me.
Old June 10th, 2018, 11:19 PM   #15
Old Boot

Well argued Andrew. I might add that when I’ve had well paid jobs and ones that are mates-rates, I always confirm who is in overral charge or direction of the Event and confirm in writing what we both can expect of each other. Yes, a contract. Part of this could inculde changes being made without prior notification and certainly not within achievable timescales. This can give the Organisor both the authority and thence opportunity to delay an event, maybe by only minutes, but to allow the Tech to be realigned. Last minute changes are both inevitable and often understandable. The person with the responsibility needs to have the authority to invoke such a crucial time change. We’ve all had it and it’s painful, last minute sound checks. If it’s not a BBC live event, most groups of individuals show understanding. Oh, and BTW, I have had a job where I was videoing a BBC Live event. Prior to the evening Show I was given an XLR live feed from the OB Tech. I still have a copy of the feed and use it as my go-to standard for Levels. Marvellous!

This type of working needs to be appreciated as Team Work. Those that sign up to the Team need to be aware of their roles and the goals of the project. Authority without responsibility is a pain. But responsibility without authority is catastrophic for the Project and can be shattering for the individuals trying to make something happen. We’ve all seen it.

BTW, is there any chance for ADR.? Is there any of the Students Audio that is missing the Echo? Just how bad is the interference? Would it be possible to cobble any of it together?
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio