Good headphones for loud environments at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 14th, 2018, 06:05 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Good headphones for loud environments

Looking for recommendations for a headphone to monitor sound in louder environments and to protect my ears in very loud environments. If possible not costing an arm and a leg :)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2018, 06:49 AM   #2
Major Player

re: Good headphones for loud environments

I find my Sony 7506's pretty good for that.
Steve Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2018, 08:18 AM   #3
Trustee

I was a big fan of the Sony 7506 for many years but now prefer the sound of the Sennheiser HD 380 pro after a recommendation on here.

The Sennheiser HD25 mk2 is probably the best for loud environments as it sits on to of your ear so isolates slightly better than over ear types, it is also modular so will last far longer as an investment as spares are easily obtainable.

Others have used in ear monitors with some ear defenders over the top but I can't comment about how comfortable they will be.
Old August 14th, 2018, 09:16 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Some folks like the Remote Audio HN-7506 High Noise Isolating Headphones, which use many of the 7506 components so they sound the same (or close to it).,
IEM is another option.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2018, 09:55 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Thx for the tips so far. I did read about the sony 7506 and it got good reviews but one review mentioned it was less suitable for very loud environments so I wasn’t sure about that one. The sennheiser HD25 mk2 looks interesting though as I like the smaller size of the earpads, some models which cover the ears completely make you look like mickey mouse so I would prefer a “on ear” type headphone. Price, eventhough not that cheap, would be ok for me.
Old August 14th, 2018, 10:06 AM   #6
Inner Circle

On ear won’t isolate audio like over ear. I use the Sony 7506. For loud concerts or parties I wear headphones to establish that the audio is ok then put in soft foam ear plugs then rely visually of the meters or set it to auto levels. I did notice the other day at the home improvement store ear muffs that you can listen to music but there’s no reason why you couldn’t use it to monitor audio. Personally I prefer the foam ear plugs because they’re less obtrusive.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2018, 11:02 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I've been doing lots of noisy shows recently where it's really difficult to hear what the people on the comms circuit are saying. I tried DT100s and DT150s - I tried some racetrack pit lane comms headsets and they were brilliant - BUT - squeezed my head to death. My IEMs I wear in the band are by far the best things for keeping room sound out off my ears, and the audio quality of course is great. What I now want iOS a way to use these and a boom mic to talk back - BUT - while these IEMs seal wonderfully, as soon as somebody opens a mic, they inflict your ears with that sound, and you cannot control that.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2018, 12:24 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
On ear won’t isolate audio like over ear.

On senheissers website it says "these headphones perform exceptionally well in loud environments"
Do you think the Sony 7506 would perform better in sound isolation?

foam ear plugs is something I cannot stand, that's why I"m looking into headphones that are not too bulky.

Quote:
My IEMs I wear in the band are by far the best things for keeping room sound out off my ears
What's an IEM?
Old August 14th, 2018, 01:04 PM   #9
Supports LPFM Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Reineke View Post
Some folks like the Remote Audio HN-7506 High Noise Isolating Headphones, which use many of the 7506 components so they sound the same (or close to it).,
IEM is another option.
Ya, look at those. I've used (but not owned) them in a couple REALLY LOUD factories where everyone had to wear ear protection.

Serious In Ear Monitors (IEMs) are an option, too. But the term IEM appears to be getting applied to earbuds that don't mix good attenuation of sound levels with decent audio.... Just be sure you're getting the drop in sound levels you want...
Jim Feeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2018, 01:58 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
On senheissers website it says "these headphones perform exceptionally well in loud environments"
Do you think the Sony 7506 would perform better in sound isolation?
I've not used the 7506s in very loud environments for recording but I've had them in my cabin baggage on transatlantic flights where they attenuated the ambient noise a great deal so that I could listen to movies at a reasonable level. The soft leather earpads are both comfortable yet very effective at sealing the ears off from the outside. Mine have worn out now and I wish that I could get some replacements.
Steve Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2018, 04:21 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Steve, I bought some replacement ear pads for my Sony 7506s a couple of years back...I think on eBay or amazon. Might be worth a quick search.
Old August 14th, 2018, 05:25 PM   #12
Equal Opportunity Offender

If you need serious protection from loud noise environments, use the Sonomax Eers product. This is the only one that sufficiently attenuates the sound levels going in to your ear canal. The squishy yellow things (bless 'em) don't actually do it properly.

I use the Sonomax Eers when filming in riots/demos and/or in front of PA speaker stacks etc.

See https://www.sonomax.com (scroll down to self-fit)

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2018, 06:45 PM   #13
Trustee

I have used my Sennhieser HD 280s while covering NASCAR auto racing. When the cars are close it is actually painful to your ears with out protection. It is a very extreme environment. I like them so much I use them for every run n gun assignment. They do what they are supposed to do, Isolate ambient noise and put a good signal in your ear so you can monitor the quality of your signal. I highly recommend them.

The one caveat that can't be avoided with any brand of this style is they are hot. Here in Arizona our average daytime temperature is well over 100 (F) four months a year. They can melt your head! I also carry some good Sure ear buds to give my brain a chance of not boiling.

Kind Regards,

Steve
Old August 14th, 2018, 08:56 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Reineke View Post
IEM is another option.

I have been using the Remote Audio HN7056, they're great for their niche purpose and is why I use them a lot. But I stopped using them as my daily driver, and instead only use them now for when I'm the mixer in a sound department with at least a boom op under me.
Old August 16th, 2018, 10:48 PM   #15
Regular Crew

I use Sony 7506's for routine monitoring because they're comfortable, compact and cheap, but neither the sound quality nor isolation impresses me much. I greatly prefer my Sennheiser HD380s which sound great, work better in loud environments, and fold up nicely into the little hard case that comes with them. Their bulk makes them a little difficult to use when operating against the side of an ENG camera with the front viewfinder, however. (The 380s are much smaller than the 280s I had before, though.)

I also really like my Shure SE215 in-ear monitors, which isolate sound surprisingly well, sound good and don't interfere when working close to the camera. They're my preferred choice for most one-man-band shoots.

- Greg
Greg Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio