Commentator Units at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 23rd, 2018, 05:40 PM   #1
Tourist

Commentator Units

Just wondering if anybody has any good suggestions for Commentators units. I need two commentators and a guest. I have looked at Prospect, Glensound and sonifex. Anybody know of any cheaper solutions?
Perhaps something that can be interfaced with a Mac or PC.
Also I need to integrate it with our existing Datavieo iTC-100 talkback systems.
Thanks in advance for help or ideas.

Last edited by Kieran McMullen; September 23rd, 2018 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Miss spelling
Kieran McMullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2018, 04:55 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Commentator Units

Glensound is the best for me and what we use at SKY and on most of the OB's I have worked on, there are others but I haven't found one to best the Glensound.

I presume by interface with a a computer you are looking at USB or IP but they tend to be larger systems like AEQ that we use on the Olympics or Lawo that is used on the World Cup etc.

If you want a real budget option then look at a Yamaha mixer and I have used a MX12 for basic coms set-ups as it has four mic inputs with basic compressors and enough busing and auxe's to bodge an incoming talkback feed or IFB but you may need to add on other kit if you want a lazy talkback system from the commentators.
The Yamaha desks are great value but you can also turn channels off for reverse feeds to auxes only or use the groups to feed headphone amps etc.

I am away from the old Yamaha at the moment but could send you details at the end of next week if you need more info?
Old September 25th, 2018, 04:20 AM   #3
Tourist

Thanks for a reply Gary. I’ll have a look at the mixer option. I had considered it.
It’s for a live stream. I’m working with commentators who aren’t used to TV or livestream.
I really only need to talk to them to Q them as we are operating from a mini OB unit. I’m trying to incorporate our Data Video talkback System but commentators would have Audio Texhnic BHSP1 headsets on.
I’d love to get an idea how you ‘bodge’ the Yamaha desk. Lol
Kieran McMullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2018, 07:25 PM   #4
Major Player

I use Studio Technologies units exclusively. For analog the Model 210, but have migrated over to Dante now with Models 206 or 216. Very clean audio circuits and takes physical abuse well.

If those are too pricey, check out the Whirlwind THS series of boxes.
Old October 21st, 2018, 06:00 AM   #5
Trustee

Hi and sorry for the delay but here is a pic of the Yamaha desk I used for pres and commentary for Abu Dhabi media premiership production:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...sb6qaylyj.jpeg

I can't recall the full details but it looks like I had two mic IFB's (lazy T/B?) and an incoming IFB talkback feed then one going back out via an aux, I also had international sound FX coming in to add to the commentary but also used the sub grouping to do an on pass mix of coms and FX and a clean FX for tracks 3+4.

Last edited by Gary Nattrass; October 21st, 2018 at 07:49 AM.
Gary Nattrass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio