DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Noise no matter what. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/53680-noise-no-matter-what.html)

Stephen Griebel November 1st, 2005 05:27 PM

Noise no matter what.

Hi yall. I've got a Rode NT3 (using the 9V batt) with an XLR-mini adapter cable (not mixer) going to my Panasonic-GS250 camcorder. No matter what I do when recording indoors (on boom, handholding shockmount) or how close (or even windscreen on/off), there is this overwhelming hiss/fuzz which I cannot get rid of in post. When I bought the adapter cable from equipmentemporium, they said there would be no difference in quality between the adapter plug and an xlr-pro or beachtek. Could it be that the panny's recording at +12 dB or something by default (nothing in camera options)? Plz help, this is killing my movie!

Ty Ford November 1st, 2005 08:41 PM

If you're trying to input a mono mic into the stereo input of the 250, you will encounter many problems. There are several cables that allow a mono mic to be connected to a stereo mini input. A standard xlr-mini adapter cable will not work. You need one that connects pin 2 of the XLR to both tip and ring of the mini TRS.

I cover this and lots of other audio info in my little book. I wrote the book especially for folks like yourself.

You can find out more at http://home.comcast.net/%7Etyreeford/AudioBootcamp.html

Regards,

Ty Ford

Francois Poitras November 2nd, 2005 08:10 AM

Hmmm. I did connect microphones with a mono plug into my GS400 and the worst that happened was that the sound was recorded on one channel only (which is normal). I would have thought it would work the same way with the GS250. You may want to check the cable. Can you test the mic and cable on another camcorder?

Francois Poitras November 2nd, 2005 08:11 AM

Hmmm. I did connect microphones with a mono plug into my GS400 and the worst that happened was that the sound was recorded on one channel only (which is normal). I would have thought it would work the same way with the GS250. You may want to check the cable. Can you test the mic and cable on another camcorder?

Francois Poitras November 2nd, 2005 08:11 AM

Francois Poitras November 2nd, 2005 08:14 AM

Sorry about the triple post...

Stephen Griebel November 2nd, 2005 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ty Ford
A standard xlr-mini adapter cable will not work. You need one that connects pin 2 of the XLR to both tip and ring of the mini TRS.

I called the guys I bought the cable from and they said that the pin configuration is as listed above. Will try and mess with the few audio settings. Curious about the gs400, though...

Francois Poitras November 2nd, 2005 01:37 PM

Yep. Just to be sure, I just checked again with my AT897 and an XLR-mini (mono) cable plugged into the GS400. Works fine (no hiss or hum), but obviously one channel only.

Guy Bruner November 2nd, 2005 01:38 PM

Well, Francois, you had a triple post and my post was deleted. Interesting forum glitch.

Stephen,
Make sure the mini phone plug is pushed firmly into the mic jack. This is one of the most common problems with the Panasonic cams. Also, the GS250 has no way to adjust audio, it uses AGC and the NT3 is a hot mic. You will need an inline attenuator, headphone volume control, or mixer adapter to control audio level.

Stephen Griebel November 2nd, 2005 02:12 PM

Guy, after looking at your post, the attenuator certainly looks like it could be it. Although, I might just go ahead and grab an XLR-PRO anyway-- these little $50 line accessories add up- and, call me a skeptic (I'm a filmmaker) but I'm pretty sure that the attenuator wouldnt work when it came down to it (most posts I saw suggested one when there was mic overload from a concert). Has no one else had this problem- with the nt3...with the gs250?

Stephen Finton November 2nd, 2005 03:35 PM

Turn off the air conditioner.

I do it when I film a scene and it works wonders.

Let 'em sweat.

You can turn it back on at break.

Guy Bruner November 2nd, 2005 03:36 PM

Sure it will work. And, if you are in a hurry, an inline headphone volume control from Radio Shack will work, too, for about $5. I've got one that I used when I tested the NT3, NTG-2 and RODE Videomic with the DV953, GS400, GS250, GS150 and GS120. The GS120 is basically the GS150/250 from a year ago. Of course, your best, most professional solution is to get an XLR mixer adapter.

Stephen Griebel November 4th, 2005 07:06 PM

The inline control definitely did it, Guy. Thanks to all and good luck on your own (mis)adventures