Miking and recording electric drum demo session at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 8th, 2005, 11:42 PM   #1
Major Player

Miking and recording electric drum demo session

I am going to be miking a Yamaha electric drum kit for a demonstration event within the next few weeks. Since it is electric (specific model yet unknown but I will post it when I know) I will be miking the speakers not the drums. I have an AKG 414 B-XL, and a Rode NT1a. I have seen the 414 used for miking pianos, but I am unsure it is appropriate for drums. Please chime in on the usefulness of either of these mics. This event will be filmed with a vx2000 (also using on camera sound with a Senn Mickie, and possibly a Beyer dynamic when the drummer is speaking to the audience.) I will run the audio into a PMD671 from Marantz (for the drum) and the Beyer may also go into the Marantz or into an M-Audio micro-track. Again please chime in on the appropriateness of the setup (should I be using other mics, or is what I have appropriate for a recording to be used as a professional demo). I could record the sound to computer but that requires greater setup, so thus far I have opted not to go that route (but I could be convinced otherwise).

Thanks
Dwight Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2005, 06:16 AM   #2
Regular Crew

If the drum brain has a spare output you might want to use a direct box. If it does not they may let you use a direct box with a through port.

Sam
Sam Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2005, 02:38 PM   #3
Major Player

Yes, a direct out from the mixer or drum brain will get you the best sound. If that's not possible, I would go with the 414 in front of the speaker.
If you do go the computer way, try and get the direct out and a room/ambiance track to mix together. That way you get the crispness of the direct out with the reverb of the room and crowd response.
Chris Luker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2005, 11:31 PM   #4
Major Player

Generally I like to get separate room ambience to mix later. But I do need to remember to record ambience for later noise reduction (which always creeps in)
Dwight Flynn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio