Shure FP32 Mixer hiss at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 9th, 2005, 03:10 AM   #1
New Boot

Shure FP32 Mixer hiss

hey guys, i have a Shure FP32 mixer that has some hiss to it. ive searched the web and i tried searching this forum, but i wasnt able to find anything on a hissing problem im having. if i turn on my mixer and plug in headphone i hear a hiss. no mic is plugged in or anything, just the mixer with headphones out out. i turn all the pots to 0 and i still hear it. has anyone else has experience with this problem, the one i have is an older unit, but i dont want to have to buy a new one. any suggestions?
Daniel L Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2005, 04:21 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel L Miller
hey guys, i have a Shure FP32 mixer that has some hiss to it. ive searched the web and i tried searching this forum, but i wasnt able to find anything on a hissing problem Imo having. if i turn on my mixer and plug in headphone i hear a hiss. no mic is plugged in or anything, just the mixer with headphones out. i turn all the pots to 0 and I still hear it. has anyone else has experience with this problem, the one I have is an older unit, but i dont want to have to buy a new one. any suggestions?

Hey Daniel,

I'm sure you will recieve much more detailed help from this forum in the future...
But for now, may I suggest you replace the batteries or if that doesn't help, you may need to send the mixer in for repair.

Good Luck, Stephanie
Stephanie Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2005, 08:41 AM   #3
Major Player

I've used the FP32 and it is well known for its hiss. Shure subsequently updated it with the FP32(A) and then later with the FP33. There is no upgrade available for the FP32, so you'll have to live with the hiss as it's inherently noisy.

Wish I had better news.

Tim
Tim Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2005, 12:20 PM   #4
New Boot

thanks for the help guys, i appreciate it.
Old November 9th, 2005, 04:45 PM   #5
New Boot

one more thing, if i was thinking of selling this unit what would be a good asking price for a fully functional unit, that is banged up a bit cosmetically(with portabrace bag)?
Old November 9th, 2005, 06:43 PM   #6
Major Player

Check here http://www.trewaudio.com/consign_mixers.htm#3856. Lots of used gear goes through here and you'll get a great idea of what stuff is worth - or find a great deal.
Tim Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2005, 06:04 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel L Miller
hey guys, i have a Shure FP32 mixer that has some hiss to it. ive searched the web and i tried searching this forum, but i wasnt able to find anything on a hissing problem im having. if i turn on my mixer and plug in headphone i hear a hiss. no mic is plugged in or anything, just the mixer with headphones out out. i turn all the pots to 0 and i still hear it. has anyone else has experience with this problem, the one i have is an older unit, but i dont want to have to buy a new one. any suggestions?

by NOT plugging a mic into the mixer, you are confusing it. An input needs to be terminated properly, like with a mic plugged in.

The FP32 may not be the quietest mixer on the planet, but operating an input without a mic plugged in is a grossly unfair way in which to make quality assumptions.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2005, 10:20 AM   #8
New Boot

thanks for the head up, the only reason i tested it with no mic is becausee i know there is hiss with a mic and i thought that was the best way to differentiate, thanks for the tip again. you guys have been really helpful.
Daniel L Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio