Audio Editing/Mixing Software for use with M-Audio Delta 1010LT at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 9th, 2005, 12:03 PM   #1
Major Player

Audio Editing/Mixing Software for use with M-Audio Delta 1010LT

I'm putting together a PC Audio set-up, with two objects in mind:
1) audio-for-video (voice-overs, music, EQ, etc.) - I use Liquid Edition for video editing;
2) (more immediately) mixing, editing and post-production processing my band's next album.

We're a 3-piece folk band (vocals and acoustic instruments - no synths, no MIDI...), and so far we have most of the tracks recorded on a Yamaha MD8 8-track minidisk recorder. The MD8 has 8 unbalanced analogue outputs besides the usual AUX and stereo monitor outputs, but no digital I/O or any sort.

We have decided to get the M-Audio Delta 1010LT PCI sound card, and discovered that this comes with Ableton Live Lite software. However, on the M-Audio site it says "Ableton Live Lite 4 gives you four audio tracks and four MIDI tracks". Since we need to record and then mix 8 analogue audio tracks, I'm thinking that Live Lite will not be good enough...

What do people think of Ableton? Would it be worth upgrading to the full program? How suitable is it for editing and mixing our sort of music (not forgetting audio for video)? Reading the blurb, it sounds much more aimed at synthesisers, loops and DJs, which is not really our style. What are the recommended alternatives? Sonar Home Studio, Cubase LE, or something else?

Thanks in advance for your advice...
Old November 9th, 2005, 02:27 PM   #2
Major Player

Protools M-Powered would be my choice.
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...red7-main.html
I've used Sonar and Cubase for recording and post, they are good (Cubase is my fav for midi), but Protools is better, easier to use and the standard in the Pro Audio world (if you ever need to go to another studio for a mix or post, just take your session with you).
my $.02
Chris Luker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2005, 03:01 PM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Luker
Protools M-Powered would be my choice.
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...red7-main.html
I've used Sonar and Cubase for recording and post, they are good (Cubase is my fav for midi), but Protools is better, easier to use and the standard in the Pro Audio world (if you ever need to go to another studio for a mix or post, just take your session with you).
my $.02
I agree mostly,

for the money, the M-Powered Protools package is nearly unbeatable IMO. I don't how well M-Powered ProTools LE interfaces with AVID's Video NLE, but it certainly give you a leg up in certain aspects.

The benefit of the 1010LT is that you can transfer the MD8 tracks via the direct outs into the 1010/Protools and be done with it. I used the MD8 a few years ago and was disappointed in the ATRAC, especially on acoustic instruments.

Peace,
Dennis
Dennis Whitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2005, 03:27 PM   #4
Major Player

I use Adobe Audition. I've been using it when it was formerly Cool Edit. Never had a problem with it. In fact, it has ruined me for other programs.
Stephen Finton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2005, 07:20 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Since audio-for-video as well as music production is part of your requirements, you might want to check out Steinberg Nuendo which is a real powerhouse toolkit for both music and video production. It has virtually unlimited audio track and midi channel capability. Pricey but running nose to nose with Protools as an industry standard.
Old November 10th, 2005, 09:25 AM   #6
Regular Crew

If I had the 1010LT, I would look very hard at the M-Powered Protools. Ableton has an enthusiastic fan club, but the Lite version is pretty crippled compared to the full version. I'm not sure if the 1010LT also comes with lite versions of Cubase or Sonar, but their lite versions are pretty good, so you might want to try them before purchasing Protools.
Old November 10th, 2005, 12:12 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks for all the advice so far.

I've been wondering whether it is better to get a cheap editing program that does the basics, and save some money for a few really good plug-ins (reverb, EQ, compressor ... what else is essential?), or to shell out on a higher-spec editor, which will do much more than we need this year, but for which extra plug-ins won't be needed. I'm assuming that one of the main differences between (say) Cubase SE3 for £100 and Cubase SX3 for £550 is the quality of the processing tools. Is this sensible?

I'm sure this sort of thing has been covered before, and I have been using the search (and reading other boards), but I've not found much to help me yet. If you know of any good FAQs or threads that I should look at, please say.

Thanks again
Old November 10th, 2005, 01:32 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fry
Thanks for all the advice so far.

.... I'm assuming that one of the main differences between (say) Cubase SE3 for £100 and Cubase SX3 for £550 is the quality of the processing tools. Is this sensible?

In general I've found with most software the differences between the "lite" versions and the full versions is not the quality of the components but the number of bells and whistles included. Sometime they're even the identical program but the Lite version simply has some features locked out. Haven't used Cubase so I can't say for sure exactly what the situation is there but given Steinberg's reputation I'd be very surprised if the lite version is of any lesser quality.

You might also want to take a look at Steinberg's Wavelab..
Old June 9th, 2006, 09:00 AM   #9
Major Player

Ready to buy... Cubase or ProTools?

Well, time moves on. I've not bought any audio software yet, but the moment is approaching. (See my original post for my equipment and intended uses.)

Because of the music recording/mixing, I think I need a multi-track DAW such as Cubase, rather than an "editor" such as Wavelab or Audition. I can't afford Nuendo nor top-spec ProTools. However, there's lots of choice for around £200...

I've narrowed it down to three options:
- Steinberg Cubase SE3, £100
- Steinberg Cubase SL3, £200
- ProTools M-Powered, £200

My first reaction is to go for Cubase SE3, but I could afford SL3. Looking at the feature comparisson, the differences that stand out (to me) are:
- undo/redo: 10 steps in SE, unlimited in SL;
- Audio Warp and Time Warp tools in SL, not in SE;
- number of physical I/Os: 8 in SE, 128 in SL
- number of VST slots: 16 in SE, 32 in SL
Can anyone with experience of Cubase comment on how significant these differences are? Am I missing anything more important?

I know a lot of people around here are very fond of ProTools, and that has stopped me from just rushing out and buying Cubase. However, there are a few things that make me think Cubase will be better for me:
- VST plug-ins need extra-cost software (+£50?) for ProTools;
- Cubase has video support built-in, ProTools M-Powered does not;
- More recent versions of my NLE (I use Liquid Edition 5.62) use Steinberg software in their audio section.
But what would I miss out on? Can anyone with more experience put the advantages and disadvantages into context for me, please? Is there anywhere within an hour's drive of Oxford where I can see them side-by-side?

Thanks in advance....
Old June 9th, 2006, 11:00 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Don't forget Vegas for audio. It has a fantastic workflow for tracking (recording tracks and multiple takes). You can set it up to loop record your takes, set the punch-in points, and easily select/merge the best takes.

ACID is great if you want to record loops and one-shots and put them together like a mosaic. ACID 6 has improved MIDI support, but the MIDI workflow isn't quite there yet. It has the same audio workflow as Vegas thoough, and supports variable tempos, in case you're using a metronome. If you're ever in a bind to get something out fast, ACID with loops can't be beat.

Sonar is my preference for MIDI composing. But for audio I go to ACID and Vegas.

BTW, check out the forums at Northern Sound Source to connect with film composers. There are a lot of talented, experienced voices there.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio