Bought a RODE videomic! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 13th, 2005, 06:01 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
Raimo,
Although you may not be able to hear the difference, and indeed, the cable *may* for some reason be of high enough quality to prevent audible interference, high impedence cables can't go beyond about 3.5-4 meters without experiencing loss due to interference.
This is why Rode' themselves don't sell a cable longer than 3m in length.
Remember always that just because you're not hearing interference or other audio issues doesn't mean others can't. It could well be your monitoring system also isn't permitting you to hear it.
And while that's true concerning high impedance mics, let's be sure to note that the Rode Video Mic is a low impedance mic.

http://www.rodemic.com/?pagename=Pro...specifications

It's very easy to lose traction in mic specs. Just because a mic (or any other piece of audio gear) only has two conductors does not preclude it from beng a low impedance device. The issues of impedance and whether a circuit is balanced or unbalanced are totally separate.

Impedance is an electrical characteristic of a piece of circuitry. Balanced versus unbalanced is simply a means of connection.

High impedance devices can't push a signal as far a low impedance devices without deterioration of the signal.

I don't think I've encountered a balanced high impedance curicuit except maybe a phono cartirdge.

The benefits of a balanced connection are that it is has two legs rather than one and therefore twice the signal and that, if constructed properly, the two legs are twisted around each other which allows for common mode rejection to cancel out various types of interference that make their way through the shield and induct themselves onto the signal carrying wires.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2005, 09:52 AM   #17
Major Player

I would query those that use the XL-1/s, or 2. Have you used this mike with various adapters, such as found on MA series? Or, are you just pluging in to the 1/8th on the back of the cam?
Old November 13th, 2005, 11:29 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Largent
What causes the "interference"? AC electricity?
Radio waves? Cell phones?
All of the above, and without the benefit of an out of phase signal per channel to eliminate the unwanted interference noise, the longer the unbalanced cable, the worse the effect of interference.
With high grade cables, one can often get away with 20' or so of unbalanced cable.
you might find this excerpt from the Digital Audio book to be of help...
http://www.vasst.com/resource.aspx?i...f-2eee8e74d474

re; impedence, true enough Ty, I keep forgetting that the Rode is a loZ mic. Habit, I guess. Thx for the catch.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2005, 04:17 PM   #19
Inner Circle

re; impedence, true enough Ty, I keep forgetting that the Rode is a loZ mic. Habit, I guess. Thx for the catch.[/QUOTE]

Who knows when to expect MY next brain fart???
Hopefully you'll be as kind.

Regards,

Ty
Old November 19th, 2005, 02:43 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Rode Videomic Handling Noise

Hey Guys,

I also just bought the Rode Videomic and absolutely love the quality of the sound and overall sensitivity of the mic.

However, I'm finding it so sensitive that mounting it on the hotshoe of my Canon Optura Xi seems to be giving me some nasty handling noise. I did a couple of tests and I made sure to not have my hands anywhere near the controls, and made sure the cables were locked down and couldn't knock against the mic, but I'm still getting this slight knocking sound with it.

Anyone else having the same problems? Any potential solves? Appreciate your help.

Jason
Jason Dirks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2005, 03:46 PM   #21
Inner Circle

What's causing the knocking?

1. Stop THAT! :)

2. get a boom. The base plate of the VideoMic has a threaded hole that accepts standard boom pole bolts.

Ty Ford

PS: This is a sign you're making progress. Camera mounted mics are no longer good enough for you. That's to be expected. Raise you game.
Old November 20th, 2005, 08:07 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Ty,

Thanks for the info :)

Certainly plan on using a boom pole where I can make it work, but need to do a lot of one-man, run-and-gun type stuff. So I'm assuming that this is impossible to get around.
Old November 21st, 2005, 04:33 AM   #23
Trustee

How about putting it in an AT8415 shock mount?
I think the Videomic has a built-in shock mount
but maybe it's not very good.
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2005, 07:09 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dirks
Ty,

Thanks for the info :)

Certainly plan on using a boom pole where I can make it work, but need to do a lot of one-man, run-and-gun type stuff. So I'm assuming that this is impossible to get around.

If you are actually RUNNING while shooting, most bets are off on camera mounted mics. Again, what specifically is the source of the noise?

Ty Ford
Old November 21st, 2005, 08:11 AM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Largent
How about putting it in an AT8415 shock mount?
I think the Videomic has a built-in shock mount
but maybe it's not very good.

The mic is built around its shockmount. It won't fit traditional shockmounts. It's sort of an all inclusive unit.
Stephen Finton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2005, 12:50 PM   #26
DVCreators.Net

The newer (blue box) versions of the RODE Videomic ship with an extra set of suspension elastics. Try doubling them up.
Old November 21st, 2005, 08:46 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll run some more tests.

The issue is I don't know what's causing the noise. It's not the cable, it's not my hands. It's almost like it's the shockmount bands creaking when the mic jostles back and forth (which also means that a boom pole may not help). But I'll try a couple more things and see if I can't get rid of it.

Thanks again.

Jason
Old November 21st, 2005, 08:54 PM   #28

I'm assuming you've got the cable tied to something? Could you have an open ground in the cable, causing it to be microphonic?
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2005, 09:31 PM   #29
Regular Crew

I think I got it taken care of.

Actually there are several hooks on the shockmount to help corral the cable so it's not flopping around. I had it hooked up, but I think my issue was a combo of the cable and the "newness" of the shockmount bands. I stretched them out a little bit and switched up how I had the cable harnessed and that seemed to take care of it.

Can't wait to use it again. It really is a great mic. Thanks again.
Old November 22nd, 2005, 07:19 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Hey guys, great discussion. I too have a Rode VideoMic, and I'm wanting to use it for a boompole. I attached a 20 foot 1/8" cable to it and then to my camera. I got a horrible hissing sound and a lot of interfierence. I know 20' is too long to go for that kind of cable. But would it help if I went from the mini to an XLR cable? I have a small mini to XLR cable that I could plug into another, longer, XLR cable then into my Beachtek. Any suggestions? I would rather use a mini sometimes (since I would be going directly into my camera.)
Thanks!
Brett Whited is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio