Headphone or lav mic for camera op? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 12th, 2005, 01:11 AM   #1
Trustee

Headphone or lav mic for camera op?

A couple of weeks ago I shot some footage during hurricane wilma. I was doing some commentary, but forgot that I had the heavy duty wind screen on the shotgun, so my voice was barley audible. I realized after that it would have been better to use some kind of lav for myself on one channel, and the shotgun for the storm sound on the other.
Can someone reccomend a lav headpiece that can be worn while shooting?
Thanks
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2005, 05:35 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce S. Yarock
A couple of weeks ago I shot some footage during hurricane wilma. I was doing some commentary, but forgot that I had the heavy duty wind screen on the shotgun, so my voice was barley audible. I realized after that it would have been better to use some kind of lav for myself on one channel, and the shotgun for the storm sound on the other.
Thanks
Bruce Yarock
Do you want a lav or a headset-style like you see vocalists on stage or aerobics instructors using? Countryman makes some good, small, headset mics.
Old November 12th, 2005, 07:43 AM   #3
Trustee

<Do you want a lav or a headset-style like you see vocalists on stage or aerobics instructors using? Countryman makes some good, small, headset mics.>

Steve,
I'd prefer a headset type.Was there a specific countryman model you had in mind?
I assume that if it's countryman, the audio will be excellent sounding.
Thanks
Bruce Yarock
Old November 12th, 2005, 01:53 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
<Do you want a lav or a headset-style like you see vocalists on stage or aerobics instructors using? Countryman makes some good, small, headset mics.>

Steve,
I'd prefer a headset type.Was there a specific countryman model you had in mind?
I assume that if it's countryman, the audio will be excellent sounding.
Thanks
Bruce Yarock
They have several variations in their E6 headset line. www.countryman.com
Old November 12th, 2005, 03:20 PM   #5
Trustee

Steve,
Thanks for the info. this morning I remmbered that I have a couple of AKG C-420 "Micro-Mic". I tried one with the head set and a pair of phones. The mic sounds great, except that it has a wind/popper the size of a golf ball. I won't look cool, but it'll work untill some more $ comes in.
Bruce yarock
Old November 13th, 2005, 06:16 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Thanks
Bruce Yarock
I use a Rycote windscreen and fuzzy cover when shooting out of doors without any noticeable loss of intelligibility. What good would a heavy duty windscreen be if made your voice bareky audible? What make and model is it?

The news guys use handheld omnis, frequently the EV RE50.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2005, 07:21 AM   #7
Trustee

Ty,
I was shooting this hurricane footage by myself,doing my own commentary . The only mic I was using was the on camera shotgun (at 897).I think my wind protector is called "Light wave" ( I lost the box).Normaly the 897 is fine out side for picking up my voice along with the talent (or I can re do my questions in post). The hurricane wind was so strong and loud that my voice was barley audible.
Do you agree that the best solution under those conditions would have been a separate headset for me(on one channel of the XL2), along with the shotgun on the other?
I was actually able to fix the audio in post (Nuendo).I used parts of the hurricane wind sound that had no talking , pasted it in on another track. Then I muted out my original track and re did the vocal on a separate track. It took several takes to make my track believable,but i did the best I could,dirtied up the vocal a bit and voila. It would have been a hell of a lot easier to use the right equipement from the beginning.
Thanks
Bruce Yarock
Old November 13th, 2005, 04:21 PM   #8
Inner Circle

As a one person team, were you on camera as well as running camera and sound?

Maybe one of those Shure Differoid headset mics, but how often would you use it other than during really loud ambiences?

Regards,

Ty
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2005, 10:33 PM   #9
Trustee

Ty,
I was doing both camera and sound. After thinking about it, I agree with you that I probably wouldn't ever need the headset again except for another hurricane.
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio