DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   People doing presentations (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/54376-people-doing-presentations.html)

Neil Pettinger November 14th, 2005 04:27 PM

People doing presentations

I want to use my Canon MVX-250i (which I think is an Elura 70 in North America) for filming people giving PowerPoint presentations to small audiences (5-10 people). And I'm looking for advice on the best microphone to use for this.

I don't know much about this (it's all pretty new to me - I only bought the camera a week or so ago) but I've heard recommendations for wireless lavalier microphones. I've also heard that a lavalier doesn't pick up any ambient sound. And a bit of ambient sound would be nice (though it's a desirable rather than an essential - the most important thing is to pick up the presenter's voice).

Is there a standard microphone set-up that will work best? One of my limitations is that I wouldn't really be able to move the microphone if the presenter were to move around the room.

Steve House November 14th, 2005 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil Pettinger
I want to use my Canon MVX-250i (which I think is an Elura 70 in North America) for filming people giving PowerPoint presentations to small audiences (5-10 people). And I'm looking for advice on the best microphone to use for this.

I don't know much about this (it's all pretty new to me - I only bought the camera a week or so ago) but I've heard recommendations for wireless lavalier microphones. I've also heard that a lavalier doesn't pick up any ambient sound. And a bit of ambient sound would be nice (though it's a desirable rather than an essential - the most important thing is to pick up the presenter's voice).

Is there a standard microphone set-up that will work best? One of my limitations is that I wouldn't really be able to move the microphone if the presenter were to move around the room.

Can you tie into the sound system the presenter is using for his audience?

Ty Ford November 14th, 2005 10:04 PM

Quote:

I don't know much about this (it's all pretty new to me - I only bought the camera a week or so ago) but I've heard recommendations for wireless lavalier microphones. I've also heard that a lavalier doesn't pick up any ambient sound.

>>You heard wrong. :)

And a bit of ambient sound would be nice (though it's a desirable rather than an essential - the most important thing is to pick up the presenter's voice).

>>If the speaker were wearing a wireless lav and you had a receiver capable of receiving it, you could port that audio to your camera, provided that your camera has inputs for external audio.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Michael Wisniewski November 14th, 2005 11:47 PM

A wired or wireless lav would be the best way to go. You can use one channel for the presenter and then use a 2nd mic to capture the room ambience on the 2nd stereo channel.

Another option is to used 2 cardiod/hyper-cardiod mics in an XY or spaced configuration.

I work with an improv theatre group that performs on a stage that's about 20x15 feet. Since I don't know where on stage the performers will be at any given performance, I use 2 mics to get as wide a coverage as possible.

My 2 Rode NT3 mics are planted on the stage corners closest to the audience (spaced configuration). The mics face inwards towards the stage. This gives me strong audio from the performers, with some ambience from the room and audience.

You could also plant the mics right in front of the presentation area at a 90 degree angle to each other - facing into the stage (XY configuration). I can't use the XY setup because it blocks the audience's view.

But if your presenter is amenable, a wired or wireless is the way to go.

Neil Pettinger November 16th, 2005 05:13 PM

Here's my thinking so far...

OK, listening (I hope) to what you're saying, this is what's in my shopping basket:

(1) a wireless lavalier set for the presenter (Sennheiser EW 122 G2; http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/s...roduct_id/3959)
(2) an omni-directional microphone for placing on the boardroom table and for picking up questions from the audience and ambient sound (looking for a recommendation, but I already have a Sony ECM-MS907 - would that do the trick?)
(3) a mixer to put it all together (Behringer MXB 1002 Euromixer; http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/s...oduct_id/1782).

Will this lot work together to give me decent-quality sound for filmingh the presentations?

In response to Steve House's question, becasue this is just a small meeting (5-6 people round a boardroom table), there won't be any existing sound system.

I have one other question. Some of the equipment looks as if it'd be cheaper from US websites (e.g. B&H) than UK ones. Is it OK to order to the UK from North America or will I run into any problems here?

Mark Fry November 17th, 2005 08:02 AM

Quote:

Is it OK to order to the UK from North America or will I run into any problems here?

Two problems you will run into:
1) UK Customs will charge duty (and VAT?) on imports, which could cancel out any savings;
2) UK and US radio-frequency regulations are different, so a US-spec radio mic will not be suitable for use in UK.

Sorry!