GS vs AT899/831 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 15th, 2005, 01:35 PM   #1
Regular Crew

GS vs AT899/831

I'm looking into purchasing some lavs for documentary interviews. I would like to get two wired lavs (one for the talent and one for the interviewer). I only intend to use the mics for voice.

Can anyone compare the $30 Giant Squid Cardioid Mono (shown here) with the $150 Audio Technica 831? Or, can anyone compare the $25 Giant Squid Omni Mono (shown here) versus the $200 Audio Technica 899? I know that DSE has the AT mics and some type of GS, but I haven't seen a comparison from anyone yet. This post compared a GS with the AT830mW, but I'd like to hear anyone's thoughts on the GS for interviewing.

The GS come standard with a 5ft cable. The AT899 has 10 foot cable. If the GS were used, would a 10ft cable be a problem? - It's just that 5ft will never reach the camera. I plan to hook the lavs up to a Beacktek DXA-8. Or, should I try to convert the lav output via some type of XLR box - if so what would you suggest for the GS mics?

Finally, what do you all prefer for interviews - omni or cardioid? Thanks, Shawn
Shawn Redford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio