DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   AT 822 much better than GL2's mic? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/54581-822-much-better-than-gl2s-mic.html)

Len Imbery November 17th, 2005 06:01 PM

AT 822 much better than GL2's mic?

I've got an Audio Technica 822 mic and was wondering just how much better (if at all) it would be than the on-board Canon GL-2 mic?....Anybody using an 822 with a GL2?
thanks
Len

Michael Liebergot November 18th, 2005 08:05 AM

I have a AT822 mic, a VX2100 and a GL1. I have used the AT822 with my VX2100 and the sound is great. An external mic will always give you better sound than onboard mics.
The thing to remember about the AT822 though is it's a stereo mic so it uses both L/R channels seperately. So if you use it with let's say a Beachtexk DX4 (XLR box) and a wireless receiver, then you would only get one side of the audio from the mic.

If you are just plugging into the GL2's 1/8 mini port then you should be fine. The AT822 isn't a directional mic like a traditional shotgun mic, and isn't as sensitive as other mics, so if you are planning to use it to pickup better audio far away, then you might be disappointed.
For great ambiant audio however, it is fantastic.
I nomally use the AT822 for seperate audio fedding into my M-Audio 24/96 or IRiver Flash recorders. It gives very rich a full bodied sound. A great mic overall.

Dave Largent November 19th, 2005 03:56 AM

Michael,
Have you ever compared the 822 to the VX on-board
mic? I've been thinking about taking a step up
above the VX mic, which is really not that great, in
my opinion.

Michael Liebergot November 19th, 2005 07:17 AM

Dave, the AT822 will give you a much better sound than the onboard VX mic. It has better dynamic range and gives you a much richer sound. I know some people out there use the AT825 mic (virtually same mic, but phantom powered) with thier PD170's and love it.

Douglas Spotted Eagle November 19th, 2005 10:11 AM

Amen, the 822 is a terrific replacement mic for most any of the smaller form camcorders out there like the VX, PD series, or the Canon GL's, or the DVX 100.
Very intelligible, solid sounding, and has a very nice pattern.

Doug Boze November 19th, 2005 04:44 PM

I've used an AT825 (same as the AT822, but with phantom power option) and can attest to the quality. Very light, good sensitivity to anything but handling, good stereo imaging. And, just to emphasize this, ANY outboard mic is superior to ANY built-in camcorder mic. Period.

Unless you have a tin ear. ;-)

Dave Largent November 20th, 2005 05:40 AM

I see that the 822 comes with a "camera shoe
mount adapter". What is this adapter? Is it adequate
for using this mic without getting a special shock mount,
such as the rubber band type?

Michael Liebergot November 20th, 2005 07:19 AM

"I see that the 822 comes with a "camera shoe mount adapter". What is this adapter? Is it adequate for using this mic without getting a special shock mount,
such as the rubber band type?"

Dave, I would still recommend getting a better camera shoe adapter, as you will still get vibration from the supplied one. BTW you can find the 822 for a good price from time to time on Ebay. I got one of mine for $110.

Dave Largent November 20th, 2005 07:30 AM

That was for a used one on ebay, right?

How about a furry for it? Anyone know anything?

Douglas Spotted Eagle November 20th, 2005 09:30 AM

I made my own fuzzy...works very well.
As far as the mount, it's just a bit of hard plastic that holds the mic. You'll want to buy a shock for it, IMO.