Figure-8 pattern: Any other uses besides MS stereo recording? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 19th, 2005, 04:07 AM   #1
Trustee

Figure-8 pattern: Any other uses besides MS stereo recording?

I see that some of the large-diaphragm condensers
offer a fgure-8 option. What is the purpose of
figure-8 on an LDC?
How about putting an LDC right between a singer and an
instrumentalist when the mic is set to figure 8?

Last edited by Dave Largent; November 19th, 2005 at 06:51 AM.
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2005, 10:10 AM   #2
Regular Crew

It can also be used as a "duet mic" so that 2 (or more, I suppose) singers can face each other and follow each others' cues. Some time getting the balance right is important, I'd guess.

No reason it can't be used the way you mention, for a more naturalistic recording. So many people like to isolate everything completely that I'm not sure how many might use it that way, but I've got recordings that were done that way--they catch a more blended, natural (and more "musical") sound. I like it.
Chris Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2005, 10:52 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Figure-8 is great for two person narratives because a booth is usually a small space for two people. Going from 2 mics to 1 means elimination of any time phasing and comb-filtering issues (harshes up the sound) especially important with overlapping dialog (because you can't just pan tracks in post).

Also, while I've never done this, figure-8 used to be a primary narrative mic pattern even for one talent. Apparently, before dead recording standards for narrative, figure-8 was highly regarded for a natural sounding room and voice. I'm not sure what kind of room, but perhaps not a totally dead one such as we like these days.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2005, 02:09 PM   #4
Trustee

Also, while I've never done this, figure-8 used to be a primary narrative mic pattern even for one talent. Apparently, before dead recording standards for narrative, figure-8 was highly regarded for a natural sounding room and voice. I'm not sure what kind of room, but perhaps not a totally dead one such as we like these days.[/QUOTE]
Now that's something I had never heard of.
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2005, 02:33 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quite common to use two fig 8s, one on top of the other, upside down, rotated 90 degrees - performs in a similar manner to a coincident pair of cardioids, but the extra rear pickup adds a new dimension to the sound, especially in less than perfect venues - the rear pickup is also good for capturing audience response. Hails from the old BBC technques when stereo first appeared.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio