DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Audio Technica AT835b Shotgun Mic (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/55034-audio-technica-at835b-shotgun-mic.html)

Max Liptack November 26th, 2005 01:00 PM

Audio Technica AT835b Shotgun Mic

Has anyone used this microphone? If you have could you please comment on it, I found it for $200, and I am wondering if it would be a good addition to my gear. I would probably use it more for in-studio recording, but I would also like to use it on set.

Any input -line or mic level- (sorry, I saw the opportunity and ran with it) is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Max Liptack

Mike Rehmus November 26th, 2005 02:17 PM

It is an excellent shotgun with all the benefits and down-sides of the genre. It is rugged and not quite as prone to audio overload as some other shotguns. I've had 2 for many years and they just keep working and working.

I use them all the time on-set. I do not use them for VO work as a good studio microphone sounds better (to me).

Max Liptack November 26th, 2005 02:21 PM

Thats good to hear, is the price good compared to other sources? How much did you pay for yours? I found it on eBay for 200.

Do you have any experience with the Rode NTG-1? I just found that for a decent price too.

Are these two mics comparable? Which one is better, (I think I hear better things about the Rode), but I would like to read a direct comparison.

Guy Bruner November 26th, 2005 02:39 PM

The RODE NTG-1 is the phantom only version of the NTG-2 (battery). These microphones are comparable to the Audio-Technica AT897. There is an article on the NTG-2 here (click).

Max Liptack November 26th, 2005 02:49 PM

Hmmm that link doesnt work for me, phantom only is fine, I will be using a camera which has onboard phantom, or a mixer which also has it.

Maybe I need to register to see that link first... hmmm

Thanks,
Max

Max Liptack November 26th, 2005 03:01 PM

Ok i found it, sorry, I didnt really scavange around when I first went there.

thanks,
Max

Max Liptack November 26th, 2005 03:37 PM

Ok, well I went out and found a good deal on the RODE NTG2 so I bought it. There is a guy on ebay who I bought it from, I submitted a best offer of 215 and I won it.

Thanks for all your help,
Max

Dave Largent November 26th, 2005 04:17 PM

Max, I have read where one audio pro said something
pretty bad about the NTG2. He said the best use
for that mic is to put bristles on it and use it to
scrub a toilet.
Haven't really heard anything else about it.

Douglas Spotted Eagle November 26th, 2005 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Largent
Max, I have read where one audio pro said something
pretty bad about the NTG2. He said the best use
for that mic is to put bristles on it and use it to
scrub a toilet.
Haven't really heard anything else about it.

That's a HUGE exaggeration on someone's part. It's not at all a bad mic. In it's class, I like the 897 better, but the NT2 is not at all a bad mic. Compared to a Shoeps or Sanken....yeah, but so are most other sub 500.00 mics, too.

Sometimes (myself included), audio guys easily become snobs and forget that not everyone has a gig that pays enough to buy the really sweet gear.

Max Liptack November 26th, 2005 08:07 PM

lol, from what I heard on a review website for it, all the sounds sounded really crisp and clear, yes compared to some microphones this one would probably be better for a toilet scrubbrush, however. I guess I'll have to see, if it lasts for 5 years then that will be well worth my investment.

Oh well, Thanks for everyone's input.

-Max

Karyn Ruffin November 26th, 2005 08:20 PM

...well, speaking as a person who is just beginning to acquire her own equipment, I have this exact mic and I love it. I use it on my DVX100a and I got it NEW from B&H for $150 (I think, its been a while) , so you may want to do that as opposed to purchasing it on eBay for $50 dollars more...

Dave Largent November 26th, 2005 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karyn Ruffin
...well, speaking as a person who is just beginning to acquire her own equipment, I have this exact mic and I love it. I got it NEW from B&H

Did you get the bristles from B&H, too?

Dave Largent November 26th, 2005 09:14 PM

[QUOTE Sometimes (myself included), audio guys easily become snobs and forget that not everyone has a gig that pays enough to buy the really sweet gear.[/QUOTE]

Yea, that's probably what happened here.

I just thought it was a funny way to critique a mic.
Maybe next time you review a really bad mic, Douglas,
you could borrow that line about the bristles:
"the best use for this mic is ... "
LOL.

By the way, I bet you know who that audio pro. He's
in Israel.

Douglas Spotted Eagle November 26th, 2005 09:35 PM

LOL, once you say where he is, it's one of two guys....and yeah...they've both got very nice collections.

Dave Largent November 26th, 2005 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
LOL, once you say where he is, it's one of two guys....and yeah...they've both got very nice collections.

Hollyland. Now you know?