DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   CANON XL1 sound advice (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/55268-canon-xl1-sound-advice.html)

Edwin Hernandez November 30th, 2005 12:15 PM

CANON XL1 sound advice

So... it's been 7 years now and finally my microphone is broken. Also, the connection for pluggin in any other mic is broken. So, my next step is something I should have done long ago... buy the XLR AUDIO ADAPTER and a new shotgun microphone with XLR.
I don't want to spend much and I don't want my camera to be opened for repairs because the guy who does the repair isn't too skilfull.

Will you please read the specificactions for this shotgun mike I'm interested in and tell me you're opinion?

Azden SGM-1X - Super-Cardioid Shotgun Condenser Microphone
Available in B&H.

I do mostly event videography.

-EDWIN

Jay Massengill December 1st, 2005 10:17 AM

Be wary of the Canon XLR adapters, some of them like the MA-100 can be very prone to electrical interference from their power connection to the XL-1.
I wouldn't buy one unless you can return it after testing with your specific camera. Also, the Canon adapters can't take in full line-level signals nor do they provide phantom power. Both of these are important, although you may not need them for your activities.
If your 1/8" mic jack is broken, then you'll need either the Canon adapter, the BeachTek that's specifically made for the XL-1's rear audio connectors, or you'll need to use an additional Y adapter for a standard BeachTek-type box to be used.
Can you give us more info on your broken input jack? Is it the mic jack or the sub-mini power jack right next to it that's broken?
The Azden mics are not great, but they are acceptable for the money. Rode and AudioTechnica make much better mics for a little more money.

Ty Ford December 3rd, 2005 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Massengill
The Azden mics are not great, but they are acceptable for the money. Rode and AudioTechnica make much better mics for a little more money.

True!

Ty Ford

Edwin Hernandez December 9th, 2005 10:31 AM

Any specific model of Senheisser or Audio Technica ? (A nice and cheap one)

Jay Massengill December 9th, 2005 12:20 PM

The AT897 or the Rode NTG-2 are two of the better quality low-cost mics in this class. The AT897 is said to be smoother sounding, the NTG-2 has a little more sensitivity.

Ty Ford December 9th, 2005 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwin Hernandez
Any specific model of Senheisser or Audio Technica ? (A nice and cheap one)

The cheaper the un-nicer.

Ty Ford

Mike Butler December 9th, 2005 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ty Ford
The cheaper the un-nicer.

Ty Ford

True in almost every human endeavor, right?

Steve House December 10th, 2005 05:55 AM

High quality at a fair price is a bargain. Low quality at a low price is merely cheap and the most expensive of the options.

Edwin Hernandez December 15th, 2005 02:40 PM

Quote:

If your 1/8" mic jack is broken, then you'll need either the Canon adapter, the BeachTek that's specifically made for the XL-1's rear audio connectors...

I followed your advice and bought the BeachTek, it will arrive next week.

Quote:

Can you give us more info on your broken input jack? Is it the mic jack or the sub-mini power jack right next to it that's broken?

It is the mic jack. The sub-mini is good.

Jay Massengill December 15th, 2005 07:40 PM

That's good, now you can also take a balanced line-level feed if you ever need to at an event. Are you familiar with the Mic/MicATT/Line level settings for the rear RCA connectors and how to use them to best advantage? The BeachTek also has a few quirks that can be odd to deal with too, but it's a good solution to the problem of interfacing with a camera that lacks XLR inputs.
Have you decided on a replacement mic?