Shot first wedding...Iriver/Giant Squid at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 9th, 2005, 05:37 PM   #1
Tourist

Shot first wedding...Iriver/Giant Squid

Wow... shot my first wedding and learned a lot. Had 2 cams which was invaluable.

I am writing to say thanks to all who convinced me to go the Iriver route. I attached a Giant Squid mic to the Iriver (790 series), put it in the groom's pocket and hooked up the mic to his tux.

Wow. What a great quality of sound I got from the groom, bride, and minister. This one setup got all of their voices with ease and clarity. I remember looking at wireless mic systems and mini-disc recorders and I decided to go the Iriver route. I had to come back here and search posts for how to actually record through the Iriver, because as anyone with an Iriver knows, their buttons/ease of navigation is downright cryptic.

Anyway, through this forum I have purchased a Rode Videomic and the Iriver/Giant Squid setup. Great recommendations. I have really good quality audio from this wedding. As Spot says, good audio is 70% of good video (paraphrasing).

Thanks to this forum.
Jeff Farrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2005, 06:32 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Anyway, through this forum I have purchased a Rode Videomic
I bought one too, it just came yesterday so I haven't had much time to play with it.

I can say that while the sound is great the mic construction itself leaves me wondering how long it will last. Turning the tiny plastic switch to OFF takes a hard push just to get it to stay off. The overall chasis is just cheaply made.

Again though, the sound seems pretty good. (After I figured out that I needed to switch the audio gain to "manual" on my VX2100 - cutting it down by about half)

As far as the iRivers... I just got two 895's and am still waiting on my squid mics. But you're right. These things do indeed require the manual to figure out. :)

Glad to hear things went well Jeff!
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2005, 08:50 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Glad things went well Jeff! I have the Evolution G2 wireless system, but always use the iRiver 790 w/Giant Squid for backup audio. You can't beat it for the price. I also have the Rode Videomic and I'm very happy with it. I've even used it for some quick voice over work and the results were very good.
Sheila Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2005, 04:48 PM   #4
New Boot

iRiver???

Are you talking about the little MP3 player that also acts as a recorder? Do they capture sound with adequate quality for video work?

I tried using a digital voice recorder and wasn't very happy with the sound quality.

Tom
Tom Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2005, 07:08 AM   #5
Major Player

Tom,
The IFP series of iRivers (7XXX & 8XXX). The new "T" series are useless. Plently of the IFP iRivers on ebay...
Mark A. Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2005, 07:56 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Sandy
Are you talking about the little MP3 player that also acts as a recorder? Do they capture sound with adequate quality for video work?

I tried using a digital voice recorder and wasn't very happy with the sound quality.

Tom
Those who are successful use it with an external mic. A typical recorder's internal mic just won't cut it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio