two sennheiser G2 transmitters with one receiver possible? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 10th, 2005, 12:41 AM   #1
Regular Crew

two sennheiser G2 transmitters with one receiver possible?

is it possible to purchase two sennheiser G2 sets in the same frequency range and then use both transmitters with one receiver? Let's say you can wire two people slightly apart.

Thank you for your help.

maximo
Maximo Salaberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2005, 12:49 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo Salaberry
is it possible to purchase two sennheiser G2 sets in the same frequency range and then use both transmitters with one receiver? Let's say you can wire two people slightly apart.

Thank you for your help.

maximo
Possible? Yes. Usable? Not by any stretch. You can't use two transmitters on one receiver and account for/expect any consistent result except inconsistent results. And a mess to boot.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2005, 01:10 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
Possible? Yes. Usable? Not by any stretch. You can't use two transmitters on one receiver and account for/expect any consistent result except inconsistent results. And a mess to boot.
Doug that answer might lead him to purchase 2 units to find that "inconsistent results" is really going to be more like "never in a million years".

Maximo, 2 transmitters on the same frequency will create contention on the frequency they are transmitting on. The unit that has a stronger signal to the receiver will win the battle an achieve something called "FM Capture" which is when the strongest signal wins.

The issue is that RF is not linear, 2 transmitters 10 feet and 20 feet from the reciever will not mean that the closest one is going to capture, the farthest one may actually win the battle and this is why you don't place 2 transmitters on the same channel cause the results are completely unpredictable but never useable.
Old December 10th, 2005, 01:15 AM   #4
Regular Crew

alternative

So, is an alternative to use each transmitter with its own receiver (on different frequencies) and each one connected to a separate channel on the camera?

I guess that way a camera with only two channels would have to sacrifice the use of a shotgun mike (for isntance). Any disadvantage with this set up?
thank you again
Maximo
Maximo Salaberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2005, 02:17 AM   #5
Old Boot

Maximo? Under what filming conditions would you be wanting to do this? 2 x wireless and 1 x Shotgun?

Be that as it may, I'm gonna stick my neck out here and say that one can - I haven't - split 1 channel to 2 and have 3 channels.

However, all this is getting close to the "owner's-kit-headroom-and-envelop-of-usability" thing - meaning, you/I/we often come up against a ceiling of, and without needing to or wishing to spend cash, what we have. I don't have a problem with this - in fact, I've turned this into something of an artform! But what you may be experiencing is the reality<>cash flow .. er . . reality. Sometimes, and not necessarily often, money does assist the breakthrough/breakout. Point in case for me was purchasing a Behringer 10 channel mixer. Yes it was XLRs, and yes it has sliders and lots of knobs. But I can now mix and match inputs from mics. And of course I could plug the output of an Rx into one of the channels. Consequently I can now appreciate the quality and flexibility that a mixer gives me. Okay, I would now have a combined 4 track un-editable/seperatable 2x tracks on my camera tape, BUT I have got it. Now, if I had a multi track recorder and so on and and so forth . . . but as of yet I don't. BUT I do have another camera which I could "lay-off" some tracks to it instead. Messy, but do-able.

This doesn't answer your question - I know. But what I was hoping to achieve was to invite you to think as to what you are wanting to accomplish may require that you stand to one side - as I needed to do too - and explore "other" options.

Designing the appropriate audio setup for the job can sometimes be a painstaking affair. Hampering yourself with "making-do" is a road I have travelled and it is fairly rocky one.

So, back to you. What is the project you wish to carry out?

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2005, 11:01 AM   #6
Regular Crew

project

Dear Grazie:
this is for a documentary on bilingual schools so I'd like to have one wireless on the teacher and one on selected students one at a time. the shotgun would give me the option of capturing some other voices not close to either wireless. Does this make sense?

maximo
Maximo Salaberry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio