Wireless Lav Recommendation - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 13th, 2005, 04:42 PM   #16
Supports LPFM Radio

Well here's another vote for the Sennheiser Evolution G2, specifically the EW112P-G2 package. In my experience as a mixer, and in that of my mixer friends, it's better than the AT101 (which I've used). But since there are only a few different systems getting recommended here, see if you can get to a dealer and try all three out. That won't be a complete evaluation, but might be helpful.

If you want a lot of background info (including some thoughts on evaluating wireless systems), check out the Lectrosonics Wireless Guide:

<http://www.lectrosonics.com/wg/wg2000.htm>

And do look at the frequency tables on the Sennheiser USA and Lectrosonics websites. They both update their tables with some regularity, and they are useful tools when used correctly. Mainly that means they will give you some input on what channels probably won't work...but won't necessarily tell you which channels will work.

Best,

Jim
Jim Feeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2005, 05:05 PM   #17
New Boot

Wow! I really appreciate all your responses. Im looking into all the units mentioned and the rental idea is also very helpful.
Max Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2005, 06:38 PM   #18
Inner Circle

I'm also in the market for a mic upgrade and in the process of evaluating the ATW-U101.

For what it's worth, in an A-B comparison between a Lectrosonic 185 and the ATW-U101 it's very, very difficult to discern a difference between the two. This is after recording a series of tests and auditioning it in a sound-treated room through a pair of Tannoy speakers driven by a Hafler amp.

With Countryman B6 lavs in a normal setup, both sounded clean and crisp.

So regarding how well the ATW-U101 performs, I'd say it's just as good as anything else out there assuming you're using the same mic on both units.

The AT is also a diversity receiver and that -can help- cut down on dropouts within its working range. Note the term "working range". That doesn't mean extending its range. Just that when the units are within a reasonable distance the probability of dropouts are reduced. Non-diversity systems would either drop a signal or experience a static burst which is the problem I sometimes face with my Lectrosonic 185's.

Another advantage to the AT system is that you can swap mics between the AT and the Lectrosonic transmitter. Both use the 5-pin Switchcraft TA5F connector. This particular connector provides a much more positive and noise-free connection than the 1/8" TRS jack used by Sony and Sennheiser.

If you're doing mostly field work, this last bit can be fairly important. Doesn't take much corrosion (you won't even see it) to get a crackle on the connector. Frequent use of a cleaner such as Caig's Deoxit and ProGold conditioner can help keep all connectors reliable.

Talk to your local AT distributor or dealer and see if they can set up a demo unit. That's what I'm doing right now. It's a thorough test drive before I commit to buying anything.

And there are no strings attached.

Better not be. It's supposed to be wireless... :-)

By the way, speaking of throwing transmitters, I saw Jesse James do that on Monster Garage at the end of an episode where they didn't make their deadline. I guess he was a little pissed off!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio