DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Handheld Wireless Mic Recommendation? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/55967-handheld-wireless-mic-recommendation.html)

Rick Steele December 13th, 2005 05:47 AM

Handheld Wireless Mic Recommendation?

For the Sennheiser EK100G2?

I could have gotten one bundled with the Samson or Azden kits but decided on the Senn G2 instead. (I sure am trusting you guys on this).

Anyway, while I truly enjoy spending the wife's money the SKM100 Mic is kind of pricey at roughly $300. Anybody using anything else? I don't really need the 500 foot range - 25 foot max.

If I need to wait to buy the SKM100 I will.

- Rick (I feel like such a lemming)

Dave Largent December 13th, 2005 07:54 AM

For what purpose is the mic? In what situation?

Bob Costa December 13th, 2005 08:11 AM

Do you know that the Senn kit has a "buttplug" that lets you hook up any XLR mic? I use a shotgun with mine, works reasonably well. If you bought the kit without that, I think you can add it.

Jay Massengill December 13th, 2005 08:25 AM

Remember that the 100-series plug-on transmitter will work with any dynamic or battery-powered mic.
If your mic needs phantom power, then you have to either use an external phantom supply or get the 500-series plug-on that gives 48-volt phantom power.
The Sennheiser e835 cardioid mic works well with the plug-on transmitter for typical vocal applications, but is directional enough to require addressing the mic correctly.
If you need a hand-held mic but it's ok for it to be tethered, you can use an adapter cable from the mic into the belt-pack transmitter.
Also remember that to use both the belt-pack and a plug-on transmitter simultaneously you'll need two receivers.

Bruce S. Yarock December 13th, 2005 04:31 PM

Jay,
I've been using the g2 on my Canon XL2-shotgun into one channel and the wireless lav Senn into the other. I'd like to be able to use the but plug wireles with one mic while using the lav also. You mention needing two receivers. Do you mean that I can use the plug that came with my g2 kit as long as I have a second receiver? If so, do they sell just the receiver?
thanks
Bruce yarock

Jay Massengill December 13th, 2005 04:48 PM

Yes, as long as you buy an additional receiver in the same frequency band as your original set. You can then use them together, on different individual frequencies within the band.
(As a side note, you can also use two receivers with a single transmitter to feed two cameras or have someone else monitor what's being said. If you're feeding two cameras this practice cuts down on the chance that a multi-path dropout would hit both receivers simultaneously. If you're using a second receiver just as a monitor then you have to be aware that a hit on the monitor doesn't necessarily mean a hit on the recording. Nor does perfect monitoring at the second receiver mean you didn't get a hit at the camera.)
The parts are sold individually, but often at a higher cost each than if you got another kit (divided by 2). So search out the best deal you can find. It's great to have two full belt-pack/lav kits and a plug-on that can be used with either receiver (in place of one of the lavs).

Bruce S. Yarock December 14th, 2005 06:11 AM

Thanks jay,
I'll price out just the receiver, but might go with another full kit.
Bruce S. Yarock