DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   buying my first wireless lavalier What would you recommend me? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/55971-buying-my-first-wireless-lavalier-what-would-you-recommend-me.html)

Jim Rog December 13th, 2005 07:05 AM

buying my first wireless lavalier What would you recommend me?

Hello

I am looking to buy my first wireless lavalier i want something that is cheap and good value, i will not be using it a lot so im not looking for anything top of the range for now. i did look at the UWP C1 wireless microphone and also saw the sennheiser G2 but they are a little much for what i want.

What would you recommend me?

Thanks

Sean McHenry December 13th, 2005 07:19 AM

Take a look at the Azden 100LT. I like mine. They have a nice dual channel receiver now too. If you put together your own system, you could have 2 lavs and a single, 2 channel rx. Or one lav and one hand held with one dual channel rx, etc.

Sean

Bob Costa December 13th, 2005 07:56 AM

Senn G2 is the tool of choice for most wedding people. It's not about how often you use it, but whther it gets interference or not. Stick with a UHF unit, and for filmmaking you will want one that allows you to use different lavs. Iwent for a cheaper unit and regretted it.

Jim Feeley December 13th, 2005 11:04 AM

I'd vote for the Sennheiser Evolution 100 G2 as my lowest-cost system, too. But you might want to upgrade the mic that comes with it. The Audio Technica AT899 isn't too expensive and comes with lots of mounting accessories, which can be handy considering the different clothes you'll need to mount it on...

Best,

Jim

Sean McHenry December 15th, 2005 03:44 PM

Bob.
the 100LT is UHF.

http://www.azdencorp.com/shop/custom...50&cat=0&page=

Additional mics availale too. Like the Sony ECM-44.

Sean

Jim Rog December 15th, 2005 06:26 PM

what kind of quality and range do you get with the Sennheiser G2?

Bob Grant December 17th, 2005 01:48 AM

We 've now got around 6 G2 systems but they're all the 500 series. More expensive for sure but many, many more channels and more range, with clear line of sight good for around 1,000M. The 100 series I don't really know much about, we looked at them but as we hire the gear out it makes more sense to offer better kit for a few bucks more knowing the user is less likely to have problems and to date not a single user issue.

Douglas Spotted Eagle December 17th, 2005 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Grant
We 've now got around 6 G2 systems but they're all the 500 series. More expensive for sure but many, many more channels and more range, with clear line of sight good for around 1,000M. The 100 series I don't really know much about, we looked at them but as we hire the gear out it makes more sense to offer better kit for a few bucks more knowing the user is less likely to have problems and to date not a single user issue.

Just to point out a common misconception; the "number" of channels is a marketing hype vs reality. Think of it this way: The freeway is XXX number of feet across. No matter how many times you slice it to add more lanes, it's still the same number of feet across. Except now you're trying to force the same size vehicle down a narrower lane. Great marketing ploy no matter what manufacturer is carrying that flag, but the bottom line is, more channels doesn't mean anything in reality at all.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the Sony and AT devices in the lower price ranges.

Bob Grant December 17th, 2005 06:19 AM

Sorry but I'd beg to differ on that point.
More channels is more than marketing hype.
Yes, the width of the road (the spectrum allocation) is fixed. So too usually is the number of lanes due to fixed channel spacing. So if one unit can only use 10 of those lanes and another 100 which one has got the better chance of finding a free channel?
But there's more to this than just how many 'lanes' of the road you get to choose from. The 500 series gives you access to 9 frequency banks, in other words more roads to choose from and within each you can choose your lanes.
Furthermore you can find that with only access to a limited number of banks that you simply cannot use your gear when you travel, while I doubt that you're likely to run foul of the regulatory bodies given the low power of these devices it might come as a bit of shock when you start picking up a local tow truck operator.
No matter which manufacturer you do choose it pays to checkout what frequencies their gear uses, what your local spectrum allocation is and that of anywhere that you're likely to travel to. Sennheiser do provide a pretty comprehensive list of spectrum allocation by country on their web site here: http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser...requency-check