Schoeps CMIT comparison mp4 video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 18th, 2005, 09:26 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Schoeps CMIT comparison mp4 video

Hi,

I have uploaded a short MP4 video that compares a 416 shotgun with the new Schoeps CMIT shotgun.

If you want to see it, it's in my On Line Archives in the Video folder.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2005, 09:43 PM   #2

Hey, thanks, Ty! Nice to hear it. I've only seen the CMIT, but not heard it til now.
If you don't have Ty's addy...
http://homepage.mac.com/WebObjects/F...eSharing5.html
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2006, 06:24 PM   #3
Major Player

interesting comparison.

Thanks very much Ty,

I guess its an indication that i'm not a true audio guy, because i find your videos infinitely more informative than the audio alone. It helps a lot to see the setup while hearing it.

Over the last month i've been trawling every forum i could find about indy film audio gear and thanks to your diligence (and douglas spotted eagle) i've evolved from "i have $300 for a total audio package, what should i buy?" to "is the cmit or the 416 right for me?" without a single forum post (at least until now).

So I listened to your comparison fully expecting to hear similar mics or a superior sound from the cmit. Sure enough, one mic clearly sounded more intelligible, clearer, pleasant, etc than the other. But when i listened carefully to your mic scratchings, i realized that the mic that sounded day/night better to me was the 416, not the cmit.

I'm probably hearing the un-flat nature of the 416 and the "tractor beam" qualities of the 416, but since i am not an audio guy i have to ask...

Is the cmit really "better"? It seems that the 416 has its legacy because of its un-flat nature, so i cant entirely see why the "schoeps sound" in a shotgun is exciting. Please, if you would, share what your "golden ears" hear and let me know how to appreciate the sound of the cmit.

or... is it another one of the "its a different tool in the toolbox" scenarios, cause that would be mighty depressing. I had to work my butt off to get the cash for one shotgun and one hypercardioid so i'll make some unpleasant noises if i need TWO short shotguns to be cool.

Anyways, any comments about the layman's listen to the cmit v 416 would be appreciated.

Thanks again,

-Andrew
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2006, 08:08 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Dean
Thanks very much Ty,

I guess its an indication that i'm not a true audio guy, because i find your videos infinitely more informative than the audio alone. It helps a lot to see the setup while hearing it.

Over the last month i've been trawling every forum i could find about indy film audio gear and thanks to your diligence (and douglas spotted eagle) i've evolved from "i have $300 for a total audio package, what should i buy?" to "is the cmit or the 416 right for me?" without a single forum post (at least until now).

So I listened to your comparison fully expecting to hear similar mics or a superior sound from the cmit. Sure enough, one mic clearly sounded more intelligible, clearer, pleasant, etc than the other. But when i listened carefully to your mic scratchings, i realized that the mic that sounded day/night better to me was the 416, not the cmit.

I'm probably hearing the un-flat nature of the 416 and the "tractor beam" qualities of the 416, but since i am not an audio guy i have to ask...

Is the cmit really "better"? It seems that the 416 has its legacy because of its un-flat nature, so i cant entirely see why the "schoeps sound" in a shotgun is exciting. Please, if you would, share what your "golden ears" hear and let me know how to appreciate the sound of the cmit.

or... is it another one of the "its a different tool in the toolbox" scenarios, cause that would be mighty depressing. I had to work my butt off to get the cash for one shotgun and one hypercardioid so i'll make some unpleasant noises if i need TWO short shotguns to be cool.

Anyways, any comments about the layman's listen to the cmit v 416 would be appreciated.

Thanks again,

-Andrew

In defense of the 416, it is an aggressively peaked standard for the industry.

Before I forget, it's sot of cool that you got what I was trying to say. I found using audio and video seemed to communicate a lot more fully, so, I'm being lured to the video side with my new XL2..

It's very common to prefer a brighter mic in comparisons. Be very careful, brighter is not always better. After a point, it's edgey and unnatural.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio