Composing Orchestral Music - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 26th, 2005, 06:36 AM   #16
Major Player

If you are a passive musician - meaning that you know what you like to hear, but have no musical abilities - then Musigenesis (http://www.musigenesis.com/) can be a posibility.

The programs generates music, and lets you choose the bits you like. Based on your selections the program will elvolve the music further to your taste.

I've tried it, but you have to have plenty of time and patience in order to get good results. Acid was faster for me. But Musigenesis can get you some music with a sort of - well marsian feeling to it.

So I use it when I need music that sounds different

JOS. Svendsen
Jos Svendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2005, 11:07 AM   #17
Sponsor: VASST

You might want to take a look at Garritan Personal Orchestra. It has individual samples of an entire orchestra in single and ensemble modes (both wet and dry). This is a VSTi instrument that plugs into a multi-track application like ACID, Sonar, Cubase, etc. (I use it in ACID). I believe Reason is a closed system (no VST/VSTi support) so you’re going to be very limited with orchestral sounds by staying with that application.

~jr
Old December 26th, 2005, 12:53 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Sorry, Chris...

I had several, but the old laptop (IBM) crashed and burned spectacularly - the little ninety-degree power connection, where the wall-wart adapter plugged into the main circuit board - shorted out. Poof. A crackle and awful silence. But BIAB is one heck of a program. My intention was to see if the MIDI files could be read by a sequencer with a better selection of sounds - the string and brass sounds were tinny and not accurate. But in checking out the site recently, I previewed the new Roland software synth and it sounds pretty darned good.
Roy Sallows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2005, 07:51 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Personally I have a bit of a problem with programes like Musicgenius. Being a musician myself, it sort of seems like cheating to use a program which creates music - that said, im sure u have a lot of creative control, but i prefer the method of creating every note and having total control. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, theve been very helpful...looks like i may have to move on from Reason *sigh*!
Josef Heks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2006, 11:47 AM   #20
Regular Crew

But that's the point, Josef!

BIAB doesn't replace musical talent. You can write as much of the real music as you want. For example, write a melody, then select a style - classical, bluegrass, whatever... (there are about 1500 styles if I remember correctly) ...and BIAB will supply all the backing you need - bass, drums, guitar, keyboards, orchestral, etc. - in that style, and around your melody.
It can also write a lead on the instrument of your choice (keyboards are best) that compliments your melody. It can also create harmonies in about a hundred different styles and voices.
You can write, in various notations, for every one of the voices supported by the program, up to and including a drum track with umpteen different sounds (I never bothered with it, because what the program came up with was cool).
In short, BIAB can be a great tool for any musician, whether gifted with ability or saddled by ineptitude.
Old January 14th, 2006, 09:12 PM   #21
Major Player

I downloaded a trial of Band in a Box and played around with it a bit. I'm not certain of the quality though. I guess I could give it a shot since it's so cheap.

I'm in the same situation as many of you. I want to score my own soundtrack, but the choices out there are a bit overwhelming.

I've looked at Acid and Sound Forge... I'm not sure what the difference between the two is... I'm not exactly sure what they do.

I know Acid loops sounds, but do you have to buy the sounds that you loop?

I'd like to know what product for the PC is comparable to Garageband on a mac.

"Good taste is the enemy of creativity" - Picasso

Blog: http://www.tonyhall.name
Tony Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2006, 10:38 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Hall
I downloaded a trial of Band in a Box and played around with it a bit. I'm not certain of the quality though. I guess I could give it a shot since it's so cheap.

I'm in the same situation as many of you. I want to score my own soundtrack, but the choices out there are a bit overwhelming.

I've looked at Acid and Sound Forge... I'm not sure what the difference between the two is... I'm not exactly sure what they do.

I know Acid loops sounds, but do you have to buy the sounds that you loop?

I'd like to know what product for the PC is comparable to Garageband on a mac.
Sound Forge is a mastering/surgical audio tool, whereas ACID is like Garageband. In fact, GarageBand was entirely inspired by ACID. You get thousands of loops with ACID when you buy it, and you can literally find thousands more for free on the web, with around 6 million sounds available in various libraries. (I have a 2TB RAID of loops)
It's much easier than you'd think to create good music in ACID. Look for the "Instant ACID" book from Iacobus and John Rofrano for great tips on how to use it best.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2006, 01:08 AM   #23
Major Player

How come no one has mentioned Fruity Loops? It's the best out there!

http://www.fruityloops.com/
Old January 15th, 2006, 08:26 AM   #24
Major Player

Thanks Douglas... I've got a copy of your Vegas book in the mail ;)

Acid sounds like the way to go for me for now.

"Good taste is the enemy of creativity" - Picasso

Blog: http://www.tonyhall.name
Tony Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2006, 10:38 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Josef, I've been asking this question myself lately and came up with Garritan Personal Orchestra as well. It can be plugged into a notation program like Sibelius or Overture to have exact-note playback, and the quality is phenomenal. You can get a copy online which includes Overture (unless you already have Sibelius or Overture to use it with) for about $250. I'd definately recommend checking it out.

Am I allowed to link to non-sponsored vendors here? If not, you can email me and I'll send you a link to a site where you can buy it. Or you can just Froogle for it yourself. Just make sure you get the version that comes with notation software if you need it (otherwise you're looking at another $200).

Last edited by Joel Kreisel; January 17th, 2006 at 11:24 PM.
Joel Kreisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2006, 10:00 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Hey,

I'm also interested in Garritan Personal Orchestra, I'm wondering if it works on cubase le, because an audio interface product I'm looking at comes bundled with it. Do you know guys know of any other similar vst packs like Garritan Personal Orchestra, is this the best one out there? or are there better ones?

Luke
Luke McMillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2006, 07:35 PM   #27
Regular Crew

There are better ones, if money is no object, but Garritan is by far the best bang for your buck. If you feel like going all out look for EastWest Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra. It comes in a variety of versions from Silver ($200) to Gold ($500) to Platinum ($1,500). Although Silver sounds good, I don't know that I'd recommend it because it doesn't have the die-out samples. Gold has those and more instruments as well. The advantage of Platinum is that it has even more instruments as well as three microphone placements for every instrument, allowing you to mix in surround sound if you so desire. (I think that's what it's for anyway.)

Most reviews I've read are pretty unanimous that Symphonic Orchestra is the best out there (it was actually specifically designed for writing/performing film scores), but I don't have the luxury of $700+ (since it doesn't include notation software) to spend on it.

EastWest's website is http://www.soundsonline.com/
Garritan Personal Orchestra is at http://www.garritan.com
Joel Kreisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2006, 08:57 AM   #28
Major Player

I'll be checking out a few of these that I had not heard of before, but to this date, in my scoring work, I haven't found a sampled stuff I'm happy with.

The samples are great, but I can't control them in the same way a bow does (specifically strings).

One technique I'm working is layering some real strings over the sampled stuff.

I can't afford an orchestra, but I can afford a violinist or a chello player.

I get her my composition in advance. She comes in a multitracks along with it.

I haven't perfected this yet, but if you have access to a great strings player it may really help your track.

Also, one more library: Miroslav orchestra by ikmultimedia (www.ikmultimedia.com) Their samples sound pretty impressive.

Not sure how it compares to the others mentioned (garrett and eastwest)

I have the bosendorfer290 library from East West and it is amazing.
www.stock20.com
Daniel Rudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2006, 06:52 PM   #29
Regular Crew

A review of BIAB

If anyone is interested, you can read a review of BIAB at http://www.cleverjoe.com/articles/band-in-a-box.html. And, no, I don't own stock.
Old March 16th, 2006, 04:01 AM   #30
Regular Crew

hmm

Sounds like he wants to really compose, as to patching a bunch of loops and licks together. I do recommend this package if you're almost going to write orchestral music seriously. Get the cheapest version of Cubase (trust me you don't need the advanced functions, save some money) and buy East West Symphonic Library Gold XP, worth every penny. It's amazing how much you can get out of it. PM me if you want to hear what kind of stuff that can be done with this simple package.
Patomakarn Nitanontawat is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio